Fly Tying
BigDaddyHub

Soft Hackle Swap

Due date is fine with me also. I talked to Ray (letumgo) and I'm going to tie his Soft Hackle Maggot. I've been seeing a lot of maggots in the gullets of panfish around here lately. It should be a good producer. I'll go with a size 10 so panfish aren't as prone to swallow the little buggers.

I need everyones input on this to make sure im in the right direction lol........This fly I posted is what we are swapping right ?

6/0 thread body

Orange dub Thorax

Hungarian Partridge Hackle

Size 10 Hook

post-20612-1249412927_thumb.jpg

post-20612-1249412909_thumb.jpg

Kevin

Kevin, yup. You're on the right track. Typically soft hackles will only have a turn or two of hackle on them though... this will allow them room to really move in the water.

Dart hit it on the head - sparse hackle.

Lots of variations - thorax or no thorax, ribbing or no ribbing, dubbed bodies, etc.

Take a look at Soft Hackle's websites for examples -

flymphforum.com

the maggot fly would be a great pattern for the big gills here, Dart! Looking forward to seeing int....

Closing the swap a few minutes early...Closing the swap with this post due to dangerous weather in my area...afraid we may lose power due to tornados, flooding, and straight line winds...Most of the storm in Just a hair north of Danville...check the net for pictures of Louisville.. they got 6 inches of rain in less than an hour...devastating...

Swap is now closed!

Get tying, folks...Due date remains Sept 10.

My many thanks in advance for the great effort. This is going to be a hell of a good swap! Any tier wishing to add thier specific pattern, just PM me and I'll add it beside your name in the first post

Due date is a'right. Gotta' get to tying though. Have 12 Quill Gordons to tie for

the swap I'm hosting (due date Sept. 5th) and now 16 soft hackles (by the way

BigDaddy...think I'm going with my Spider X) . Also got word today that one

of our local resort shops wants 100 of my sowbugs. My first sale! :yahoo: No rush on them

though.

Mike

Congrats on the first sale!! Used to keep the creek fishermen stocked with buggers and craws...still do custom orders of "Floating Flies" for an elite bunch of cop fishermen...Love that you got a good order the first time around...that resort down around the White...lot os sow bugs in the White

Thanks, BigDaddy. Sow bugs are extremely popular down here.

I was thrilled/humbled/mortified all at the same time.

Thrilled and humbled that someone actually might want to use a fly I tied,

and terrified by the idea that someone who knows how to tie a lot better

than I do might soon be perusing the bins and pick up one of my scraggly

sow bugs... And laugh.

Mike

Ah hell, Mike...you're looking at this all the wrong way...if he ( the better tier you fear) is perusing bins at a resort, his lazy ass should have tied his own bugs before he came down! LOL!!

unless you want one of your own back, yes, then just 15. Some tiers (myself included) have the tendency to "overtie" and tie one for everytier, including myself in case something happens and the swap is short...but yes, just 15.

Mine are done. I had fits working with the pheasant rump feathers, but I finally got them looking decent. Hadn't used pheasant as hackle but a few times...this was an ideal time for me to dust of some old basic skills.

Can't wait to see everyone's flies!