Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FishyboY

Fly Tying Bag?

What do you guys use to transport your fly tying stuff. Thinking about getting a fly tying kit bag... I would like to see what you guys use!

I use a Plano 1373 tackle box. It has a lot of bulk storage in the top for my vice and larger items. The lower section holds 3 stowaway boxes with adjustable dividers. I can customize these for various materials. My box is not as compact as some of the tying bags on the market, such as Fishpond, but it serves my needs and I feel that it offers superior protection for my vise and materials. It's also a lot cheaper than bags marketed as tying bags.

For shows and exhibitions I use a full size rolling suitcase (so as not to forget ANYTHING).

For other occaions I use a catalog case from Office Depot.

I LOVE the Fishpond Coyote bag.

Its not cheap (about $150) but I fly often, and it cant be beat for frequent travels (IMO)

If just looking to drive stuff around to a few places, I'm sure a large tackle box would work perfectly fine.

thought about the coyote from fishpond.... IMHO fishpond makes the best stuff.... but it is a pretty big thing and when you travel on a plan you carry on your fly rods and reels, boxes, vests, jackets, 1 pair of clothes, etc. then you have your checked bag which probably carries your clothes and some other fly fishing stuff. A big coyote fly tying bag i would have to pay extra to get it checked.... and checking extra bags is a lots o money!

thinking about the other fishpond road trip fly tying bag... just think it might be a little small.... also saw one from bw outdoors.... i might just save the money and throw it all into a duffel.

I use an old laptop computer bag. It has plenty of room for vise and pedestal base, lots of dividers and compartments to hold large and small materials from bucktails to dubbing, and the compartments on the ends (for the cord/power supply and mouse or whatever) are perfect for a couple of 6 or 4 compartment hook boxes. Zippered compartments inside and in the flap for tools and thread/floss/tinsel. Just my opinion, but $150 for a bag to stuff fly tying materials in is kinda :wallbash: :blink: . You could buy a hell of a lot of high-quality materials for that money.

Why are you starting to hate your fly hive?

the bags are to narrow I wish the pleat was bigger. the bags stick together. the velcro grabs everything soft and flexible hair flash you name it. Ok I like my hive I hate the bags.