Fly Tying
smalliestalker

Tying Show

So.....I am honored to say.....that I was just invited to tie at my first tying expo ever......I have never tied at one of these before....I was invited to make bass bugs and other deer hair flies.....It's a small expo, at a place in Scotia NY where I buy most of my supplies.....There are big name tiers that I am going to be next to, like Dave Brandt.....A little nerve racking to say the least.....I know some of you do these shows...Any advice? How much stuff do I bring, do I bring display examples of other flies that I have tied? WHat do I do.......

First congratulations, now relax. Make sure you bring a light , exstension cord ... etc.Bring whatever flies you would proudly display. Bring bussiness cards to hand out . Some tyers attach a fly to their cards to hand out to spectators that don't get the fly your tying. Example : if I have three people watchig me demonstrate a fly , I will give the first person the fly I tied with a card and the other two recieve a simple fly with a card. It's not nessecary but it really leaves a smile on their faces. take your time and visit a bit with the people there and enjoy the experience .

Fred

I'll be tying at the same show, and have in the past. If you've been to their little expo in the past, you know that there isn't a lot of extra room for materials, etc. So I'd recommend knowing what you're going to tie ahead of time, and then have the materials for each fly ready to go in small zip-lock baggies. That will help you have a clean work space, and a little leg room at the table. You'll have space to display some flies you've tied, and the people who walk around to watch usually spend more time looking at the flies you've already tied than what you're tying. All in all, it's an excellent weekend considering the number of 'big names' we have in our area who will all be sitting around the same table. Must be something in the water.

CONGRATULATIONS. Where is Scotia NY? I need an excuse to get away. I can't offer any advice but I think I would crap my pants if I had to tie next to Dave Brandt.

Ted

Wear a solid color shirt, someone who is watching you tie with a a plaid shirt on is hard on the eyes.

Give little slips of paper with the recipe of the fly at hand. It's not neccessary at all but it's certaintly nice!

Announce what material/how you're attaching it to the people who are watching you.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY --- WITH ANY PRESENTATION: LOOK AT YOUR AUDIENCE IN THE EYES. They'll stay around longer which, depending on your motives, only boosts the benefits for you!

So.....I am honored to say.....that I was just invited to tie at my first tying expo ever......I have never tied at one of these before....I was invited to make bass bugs and other deer hair flies.....It's a small expo, at a place in Scotia NY where I buy most of my supplies.....There are big name tiers that I am going to be next to, like Dave Brandt.....A little nerve racking to say the least.....I know some of you do these shows...Any advice? How much stuff do I bring, do I bring display examples of other flies that I have tied? WHat do I do.......

First off RELAX!!!

Go and have FUN!!! Having been an invited tyer at such events for over 20 years, my best advice is to plan out three or four patterns that you speciallize in and bring just those materials...

Do bring the rest of your "traveling stuff"if it makes ya' comfortable (I usually do), but pre-package your materials for those 3-4 patterns and ready to teach and interact with the guys (and gals) that sit across from ya'.

Good Luck and have FUN,

Bowfin47

As the others have said....Relax and Have FUN .... I had the same thing happen to me so Congrats to you....smile alot have fun tying talking and visiting with the other tyers that is what it is about...

Now When and Where is the expo???????

it's a very small expo at Goldstocks Sporting Goods in Scotia NY.....It's not till the end of February.....There is usually only a table or two of people tying there...but it's fun...I went last year just to check it out....I'm feeling a lot less stage frightish now....I tattoo for a living....so tying flies in public should be no big thing....

Speak clear to those watching and teach how to tie the fly your tying. Tie slowly. A solid tan shirt works best. Just remember....materials are always the most uncooperative when your tying at shows. :D but it's all good and laugh at yourself.

My first tying expo I sat next to Stack Scoville, talk about being intimidated! As Alex said, bring only what you need to tie the flies you are going to demonstrate. Also, don't tie something new, stick to what you know best and don't get out of your comfort zone. You'll do fine, have a good time and steal whatever tips you can from the guys you're tying with.

.I'm feeling a lot less stage frightish now....I tattoo for a living....so tying flies in public should be no big thing....

At least if you screw something up you can just unwind your thread as opposed to your day job. Just stick to 2 or 3 flies and if someone is there watching and asking question from start to finish of a fly, go ahead and give them the fly.

Only bring examples of flies you intend to tie.

At the first show I tied at (earlier this month) I brought several different examples of articulated flies- stones, hexes, and streamers.

I started off tying the hexes and stones, but everyone was admiring the pike streamers (could also be used for chrome, browns, etc, depending upon color) so I ended up switching over to that pattern instead. If I hadn't brought the materials to tie it, someone at the show would have made some money on me.

Well, more than the $75 I spent on a used Renzetti from Bear Andrews' table. :headbang:

At my first show I was shaking most of the time. I had a terribly set up table but I still had a few peopl come by. I tied at nother show after that and then I tied at one this year. This year I was shake free, and quite a few people came by asking for tips. I had shadow boxes displayed which made the table look nice and I had some business cards out. Most of the cards were gone at the end. A nicely set up table can make all the difference in attracting attention. Also this year I was invited to another (lager) show and also a show in Montana! I definitely give credit to my much nicer display. Shows really are a lot of fun once you get into them. I'm sure you'll do fine. The atmosphere is usually really laid back which makes tying much easier. People will also come by, sit down at your table, and shoot the breeze. You should have a good time for sure.

The others have given you sound advice on what to bring. Coming from me it sounds a little comical, since I bring everything up to and including the kitchen sink, but pick a pattern or small set of patterns and bring just that stuff. Makes packing, unpacking, and decisions much easier.

Here's two things I would add:

1. TALK and explain...in painstaking detail. You can almost go stream of conscience. Never assume the person in front of you knows what you are doing or why...get them involved. The person sitting next to you may know your schpeal by heart after a show, but the person in front of you has not heard it and deserves to get all they can from the show.

2. Something I heard from Ted Patlen during my first trip to Somerset.."Don't worry about it. The 'famous' guys put their pants on one leg at a time too". I have met and tied with a lot of famous guys, and there are very few that are anything shy of extremely gracious. In an industry where much is predicated on reputation and everyone knows everyone, the guys at the 'top' got there by in part by being knowledgeable, fun, and approachable.

Most of all...HAVE FUN!