Fly Tying
FishyboY

Finally i am ready!!!

to buy a new vise. i saved up the hard earned "dough" and i am pretty sure that i want to buy a renzetti traveler and before everyone goes like ohhhh a hmh is better i want a full rotary......and i have herd lots of good stuff about renzetti vises soo.... what are the pro's and con's of the vise?

most appreciated

FishyboY

and before everyone goes like ohhhh a hmh is better i want a full rotary.

HMH's are full rotary, just not true rotary.

Are you thinking about getting the knob model or Cam?

Pro: they are REALLY good vises.

Con: they are TOO expensive.

(get a Peak, and spend the extra money you saved on other tools, hooks, materials...)

here we go again... :rolleyes:

They are very good vises. Are you looking at the regular or saltwater? Either way they are great.

Jeremy

I have both the Renzetti Traveler and the HMH Spartan. They are both great vises. As someone mentioned above, they are both full rotary but only the Renzetti is true rotary. This means that the hook can in principle be positioned so that the shank stays on the same axis as you rotate it. That being said, I don't care for rotary tying. I just use the rotary feature to conveniently access all sides of the fly, something I can do with either vise. I like the HMH better because I can get my fingers behind the fly to set the wings on wet flies, which I tie a lot of. Also, Renzetti customer service leaves something to be desired.

My Griffin MOntana Mongoose is also a true rotary and I have tied from 3/0 down to #26 with no problems. The #28s I tied for the the itsy bitsy swap had some vice marks on the hooks if I didnt position absolutely perfectly. Still got most tied without any dings in the hook.

I will be getting the cam model.... i really dont think renzetti vises are over priced i mean when you think about what goes into building one and how long they last i mean they last your entire life. And yes i do want a true rotary vise.... I will be getting the regular vise because i don't tie to much saltwater...

Pro: It holds the hook with a ninja-death-grip

Con: Customer service is told to be pretty lackluster

Nuetral: Light pedastal base (you can get a c-clamp though)

I will be getting the cam model.... i really dont think renzetti vises are over priced i mean when you think about what goes into building one and how long they last i mean they last your entire life. And yes i do want a true rotary vise.... I will be getting the regular vise because i don't tie to much saltwater...

A renzetti isn't any more durable than any other of its peers ;)

I'd say it looks like a great vise tho...hope you enjoy it.

i think in the end its what makes you nipples hard when you look at it lol. All the vises are the same thing with a few different tweeks and changes.

holds the hook tight = good vise

wiggly hook = bad vise

I just always check that 100% of the parts are quality metals.

Hope you enjoy your new Renzetti as much as i have loved mine

Jeremy

Guest Tony P

Get what ever you think looks good to you & makes you happy! They all hold hooks if adjusted correctly even the good old Thompson A vise so it's just a matter of personal preference. What ever you get make sure it's what you really want & have fun with it. :thumbsup:

I've got a traveler. You won't be disappointed. If that's the vice you're after it will probably serve you the best cause you won't be second guessing yourself if you got a different vice than you were wanting. I haven't had any issues with mine and it's about five years old. Because of that I also can't speak for their customer service.

Renzetti makes a fine vise. Only shortcoming I can think of others have already mentioned (i.e. customer service). I own or have tied on a majority of the vises out there, and for trout flies, my Renzetti Traveler is easily my favorite. I may be replacing it soon with a Presentation 4000, but even then the Traveler will still be my travel vise.

Go to a shop that will let you sit down and try out the vices they sell. If they won't do that... go elsewhere!

I found that my needs and my hand actions worked best with the Peak vice. It's all about your hand movements and ease of use when tying.