Fly Tying

i was just wondering am i the only 1?

Christmas went by and all the trash and wrapping are left over with fancy bags and ribbons packaging

and it s like everything i look at I`m looking for different materials to tie flies with

Does anyone do the same ?

I just threw out a bunch of Christmas stuff but ripped off all the handles odd the fancy bags which had various colors kinda like rope but when taken a part makes killer nylon floss

has anyone ever used that and Nylon there wouldn't be anything that wouldn't make that unusable is there ?

And i noticed there s some cool bows that are made out of a plastic type of material when cut into strips makes a nice body with a translucent effect cause of the sparkly color of it

anyone else ever try any of these materials ?

Randy

post-23329-1262802341_thumb.jpg

No Randy I am sure your not the only one ... me included. I do that all the time. Look at stuff laying around the house, when out shopping at the local Walmart, the dollar general store ... etc., always looking for anything that might work for fly tying. It is an addiction like a junkie looking for another fixed :headbang:

Mike

Ha! That's funny.... you're not the only one by a long shot!! In fact not twenty minutes ago I stopped by the house to grab some lunch and my wife was taking down all the Christmas decorations and putting the everyday stuff back up..... I spied a holographic ribbon on a wall hanging and I began to pick it up and feel the texture and watch the holographic color spectrum dance while I moved it while imagining several different applications..... when my wife knowingly says.... "What do you think you are doing? Hands off mister!" .....I wonder..... will she notice that the ribbon is a little shorter when she wakes up tomorrow morning!

It happens all the time! I'll be walking through a store and some material/object will catch my eye and I'll drift off in another direction leaving my wife wondering where in the heck did I go.

Here's one for you, I am a pastor and I am usually trying to get around and great people when they are coming in..... I make a beeline for the ladies with the fur coats and collars!!!! I've even jokingly said "what are you going to do with that coat when you're done with it?"

Or the time my youngest daughter was "babysitting" her friends pet rabbit.... named cinnamon! You guessed it.... a beautiful thick fur..... I kept "checking" on the rabbit while he visited with us.............. They never could figure out why the rabbit had a couple bald spots when he was returned! I have volunteered to bury cinnamon when he dies!

My wife and I were in Cracker Barrel the other week and before we left we were browsing the store..... something in the toy section caught my eye. It was soft/furry/rubbery/bright all in one..... immediately entranced I stood there for several minutes oogling the object with a myriad of ideas firing wildly through my excited synapses...... after I had been there for several minutes my wife walks over with a puzzled look and asks, "What are you looking at?" To which I replied with a big grin while pointing at the mesmerizing object, "Oooo-Ugh, ffffflllllyyyyyys!" Which got me her usual response.... a rolling of the eyes accompanied by.... "Oh brother, you're hopeless!"

I've got a gazzillion stories like this......

I earmarked (meaning wanted, told my wife, and then didnt put it away) the ribbon she wrapped my packages with this year. You know where this is heading. I was looking for it the other day and she said it was in trash. Knowing Im a little on edge having just quit smoking, she was quick to add, there are rolls of it in the basement. That sounds great, but it sort of defeats the joy and purpose of scrounging. Guess I just have to wait for next year's ribbon.

Also I was talking with my Mom over the holiday and she said I could have my granmother's old mink stole (sp?) Havent seen it but in pictures and its sounds like a great source for material, but maybe I can ebay it and buy some a bunch of capes or something.

Anyone interested in a mink stole? Cheap ;)

No, you are perfectly normal (for a fly tyer that is). I have a packet of great streamer material, which was sold very cheaply in craft stores under misleading name Santa's beard.

Here is my friend with the stuff :D

mikulas_micro.jpg

It looks like we have the start of a support group :D

I remember walking the dog one year not long after Christmas. One of the neighbors had thrown out a Christmas tree covered with tinsel. While it was just plain old silver tinsel, I had a pocket stuffed full of it before I remembered that I still had a tinseled tree in my own living room not to mention several unopened packs.

Does anyone find themselves eyeing up the family pet? I have been thinking about a gold ribbed beagle butt nymph for the past few weeks...

:hyst: Oh yea! I've brushed out our cat a few times. She's a long hair mixed. Some really nice dark brown & grayish sable fur off of her. Makes some really neat looking dubbing mix.

Mike

Before Christmas my wife and I were in a dollar store looking at decorations. I eyeballed a Santa head with a beard about 3' long made out of threads with clear sparkly "flash"...like a dubbing brush. She wouldn't let me buy a dozen of them....#!@%$@% so I come home and go to my tying supplies. In a box my brother in law gave me of his old tying stuff I found it. It's called Crystal Yarn , and it cost 99 cents back when he bought the stuff,for about 3-4' of yarn. Santa will not have a beard next year, this I guarantee!!! :devil:

I save all the little clear rubber bands that hold all the kids toys in their place in the boxes. It's clear, flat, and makes a great body wrap. I also make sure to clean the clothes dryer's lint trap out after washing the dog's bed and blankets.

I save all the little clear rubber bands that hold all the kids toys in their place in the boxes. It's clear, flat, and makes a great body wrap. I also make sure to clean the clothes dryer's lint trap out after washing the dog's bed and blankets.

The way the package kids toys today is crazy. Does anyone else have difficulty in getting the toys removed from the packaging? :wallbash:

Its funny, Ive only been a member here a little over a year and this has got to be the third thread on "strange materials". Someone will soon post something that is either too gross or inappropriate and the thread subsequently dies.

I also think that Dave Wiltshire has posted a ton of flies using various threads from orange bags and McPhail does his buzzers with doritos bags.

Most any serious fly tier can envision the value of various materials as they come along, no matter where you find them.

You're not alone! :rolleyes:

The way the package kids toys today is crazy. Does anyone else have difficulty in getting the toys removed from the packaging? :wallbash:

Its funny, Ive only been a member here a little over a year and this has got to be the third thread on "strange materials". Someone will soon post something that is either too gross or inappropriate and the thread subsequently dies.

I also think that Dave Wiltshire has posted a ton of flies using various threads from orange bags and McPhail does his buzzers with doritos bags.

I was at the barbershop the other day... :devil:

I was at the barbershop the other day... :devil:

I went to the Beauty Pallor the other day.... :devil: :devil: :devil:

Last year kind of as a joke, I asked my wife’s sister to save me some fur the next time she brushed her chocolate lab. I told her I could find some way to use it. I tied up a few fuzzy nymphs, and sent her one.

Next think I knew I had hair from several of her friend’s dogs. I dutifully tied up flies using the hair from each and sent them back. Collies have nice long hair for streamers, and soft under fur for flymphs. My friend has two and now he has a couple of dozen nymphs and streamers to try. Inadvertently, I have started a cottage industry in “pet” flies

Try some you will like it, and it give a whole new meaning to taking your dog fishing.

You should check out your local florist ! They have fine green floral wire, I also found swiss straw they use for tying to baloons, some of the ribbons there have a small mesh netting in the center, lots of sheet goods like mylars and acetates - (I've been experimenting with clear mayfly wings)...It helps that my wife works there so I can snoop undetected...just keep a nice pair of 4 inch scissors in a ankle holster ............Our local shop also has craft supplies, lots of glues and epoxy, even the jewery making stuff I have found some small glass beads, a fine stainless steel wire and some clear elastic thread...

Jman

P.S. The ankle holster was not my idea - I read it here somewhere...