Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

floatant on deer hair flies.

i have noticed after fishing deer hair flies for a period of time that they eventually absorb water and almost start to sink...am i supposed to be putting floatant on them?...and if so what kind should i use?

I apply Gehrke's Gink to my deer hair poppers (all except the tail) before I fish them, but I don't apply anything to my deer hair divers -- when those get waterlogged, I just tie a new one on.

-- Mike

I usually coat the trimmed head portion of my deer bugs with thin flexament. It pretty much waterproofs the hair and I don't worry about it past that. Quite often though, a bug that is partly sunk in the surface is VERY effective.

I use Loon, but I've used Gink... either one will extend float times. Never tried the Flexament! Thanks for the tip!

I sometimes coat the belly of my deer hair flies with cement but don't use any other floatant. I personally think flies that sit low in the surface film fish better, seems to me its a more natural presentation. Also, I find that false casting a few times will remove enough of the water that they float fine.

Tom

You can Scotchguard them as well....spray liberally to the topside of the fly and allow to air dry. Durable and easy to apply. Personally, I like a fat bug to sit lower in the water....just my 2 cents

Hi Group,

A couple of the members have already suggested Scotch Guard or RainX; both are very good. Kiwi Camp Dry is another product that water proofs the finished (un-fished) popper. We found after a couple of applications of the mentioned products, we don't need to reapply or use fly float. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Hi Group,

A couple of the members have already suggested Scotch Guard or RainX; both are very good. Kiwi Camp Dry is another product that water proofs the finished (un-fished) popper. We found after a couple of applications of the mentioned products, we don't need to reapply or use fly float. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Excellent tip, Mr Beatty....had never considered Camp Dry.