Fly Tying
David Legg

Worth the Price Used?

I have been watching a used law vise on ebay for a few days, just curious to see how high it goes. It looks to be in pretty close to new condition, but the price seems to be right about there too. Question... would anyone pay that much for a used one when you get a lifetime warranty with a new one? It looks like it has a couple of extras, but seems like a lot of loot to me.

Oops... not that you couldn't find it, but forgot to mention the current price and link it if you want to watch how it ends... currently sitting at just over $730 US

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Now thats funny....been watching the exact same one for several days as well. Personally, if I was going to shovel out that kind of loot I'd go all the way with a brand new one ($900 :rolleyes: )

Now thats funny....been watching the exact same one for several days as well. Personally, if I was going to shovel out that kind of loot I'd go all the way with a brand new one ($900 :rolleyes: )

I didn't realize they were that high. Exchange rates are getting miserable. Last I checked, a LAW was in the mid 700's. I guess it might still be at a reasonable price then.

I think the LAW vise is a nice piece of equipment, but in no way is it worth $900.00. Let me tell you why, all it does is hold hooks.... I don't care if it spins, sits up, rolls over and plays dead, its just a vise. It is a status symbol, just like any other exorbitantly priced piece of equipment. I am not disparaging the quality or design of this vise as I know it is appreciated and coveted by many on this website, but guys cmon really, think about what you are saying. I hope everyone understands im not flaming the LAW vise, but I am flaming people who think having this vise will make them special or a complete tier. If you can afford it, fine, but don't think you have to have it........

I think the LAW vise is a nice piece of equipment, but in no way is it worth $900.00. Let me tell you why, all it does is hold hooks.... I don't care if it spins, sits up, rolls over and plays dead, its just a vise. It is a status symbol, just like any other exorbitantly priced piece of equipment. I am not disparaging the quality or design of this vise as I know it is appreciated and coveted by many on this website, but guys cmon really, think about what you are saying. I hope everyone understands im not flaming the LAW vise, but I am flaming people who think having this vise will make them special or a complete tier. If you can afford it, fine, but don't think you have to have it........

I couldn't disagree more, especially with your last sentence. We don't need a lot of thins we want but we still buy it - human nature at it's finest. I think you're in the wrong place if you're gunna start flaming people - no one ever said, "I'm going to buy this because it's going to make me better."

If you looking for a new vice have a look at http://www.jvice.com/ I have tied with Renzetti's and a few other vices but i can honestly say this is the best vice i have tied on and the best part is that its much cheaper than other top of the range vices. Its made in South Africa and sell for about R2400 which works out to about $320, depending on exchange rates.

I couldn't disagree more, especially with your last sentence. We don't need a lot of thins we want but we still buy it - human nature at it's finest. I think you're in the wrong place if you're gunna start flaming people - no one ever said, "I'm going to buy this because it's going to make me better."

I agree with TitanFlies - we all buy things that we don't absolutely need. But I'm going to disagree and say that for someone, this COULD make them a better tyer. If pride of ownership in your vise makes you want to tie, and the enjoyment of using a well-made tool makes you happy, then you may want to spend more time tying if you buy the vise you really, really want instead of a $25 bargain vise. And as everyone knows, vise time is what makes you a better tyer.

Does that make the LAW worth $750 or $900? Not to me. But it certainly makes my Dyna King worth what I paid for it. To me.

You Know what guys, give your heads a shake?????

I tied my first flies by hand no vise? My mentor insisted on it? I still do this once and a while?? It sure teaches you to tie properly and learn to use your fingers. I have used a pair of vise grips to tie stream side> I lov my thomson A vise and I truly love my regal.

The passion of tieing comes from within not from the vise its just a tool??

If you truly want to tie flies you will find a way?????

Blessings,

Jeremy

Ha Ha, you guys are so funny... So by now if you have seen most of the posts I have made since I have been here, you all should know I'm not a subversive guy. All once in a while I see some people just acting way too serious on here about a certain vise or a certain material or just anything materialistic. Blake, I agree with you that we all buy things way better than we need, but at some point a line must be drawn. I tie on a Dyna King pro, so I am not advocating cheap vises, Im supporting inexpensive vises. Great quality at a reasonable price. Use the rest of the money you saved for good materials for patterns you are not familiar with and get to tying. So yeah I ruffled all you LAW lovers feathers..lol! Good for you, keeps you honest.....

tying flies by hand with no vise...

How many flies can you do that way before the hand holding the hook starts to cramp up and how long before you start getting carpal tunnel. :unsure:

I would say that if you are tying on a size#16 or bigger that should not be any problem.

I can sit down and tie some pretty complex flies for an hour or two without a problem and

I have trapped nerves in my neck; a ganglion in my left wrist and osteoarthritis.

Tying in the hand is still an option when it hurts to lift my arms to tie using a bench mounted vise.

Tying without tools allows you to tie streamside without hassle.

Re: the LAW vise, it is an exceptional piece of kit, each built for the specific user, highest quality and hand made. The engineering takes time and cannot be replicated.

Lawrence provides a custom service with 100% guarantee and satisfaction.

If he could produce the vise in half the time it would be half the price;

you get what you pay for and in this case that is excellence.

You pay your money and take your pick.

I have no commercial ties to LAW but have met Lawrence a few times

and can only express my judgement that he is a true gentleman

who wants to sell his work to those who appreciate what it is.

He does in fact turn away many queries from folks who appear to want the tool just as investment.

There is still a waiting list and Lawrence is working on it.

Cool by me,

Roy

If you looking for a new vice have a look at http://www.jvice.com/ I have tied with Renzetti's and a few other vices but i can honestly say this is the best vice i have tied on and the best part is that its much cheaper than other top of the range vices. Its made in South Africa and sell for about R2400 which works out to about $320, depending on exchange rates.

I love my jvice and the price is right for a custom made vice. Jay is also a great guy to deal with. I'd buy a LAW if one came by at the right price, it would be a nice collectors item. You'll see the odd LAW vise come up on the classic forum, I think the last one went for $750.

tying flies by hand with no vise...

How many flies can you do that way before the hand holding the hook starts to cramp up and how long before you start getting carpal tunnel. :unsure:

I used to tie commercially so a vise just got in the way for the simple flies ( Black bear and other simple salmon flies , woolly buggars some stone flies lots of wet flies) your not just holding the hook in the same spot all the time your moving around? I've never had any issues yet and I'm now 46 being tying since 14. When I go through my journal my best year I was 18 tied 23,000 flies that year only 3 days of fishing that year but bought my first truck New that year!!

The old days were so simple!

Don't tie as much now but still lov the challenge!!

Blessings,

Jeremy