Fly Tying
Gustav F.

What brand of tying thread do you use?

451 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I use danville mainly because i used to live 15 away from the factory and could buy my thread on bulk cones rather than on spools. (got a great price that way). I have a few odd spools of orvis, rumpf and gudebrod kicking around. Only uni i have is floss. I plan on getting back into tying small for trout so i may yet try some of the other brands.

Almost always use Griffith's 14/0 Shear. Also have Pearsall's spooled up. Don't tie bass bugs or any large flies - mostly soft-hackles, so don't need anything too heavy. I like the 14/0 cuz of it's small diameter and seems to be pretty strong for it's size. Nice range of colors. Pearsall's silk is just a classic (but the small spools are a pain). <_<

I guess I am the cheapest tightwad here. The first thing I did when I decided to get back into fly tying was, I raided the sewing basket. I can't tell you who the manufacturer is, but I got all kinds of bright colors and natural colors. The only time I have an issue with these threads is if I am looking for a smooth finish ... they all "fluff" up when head cement is applied. So to get a glossy look, you've got to coat it several times. The bass and bluegill don't seem to mind the fluffy look.

For spinning deer hair, I am using some old 4# diameter Stren superbraid that was left over from spooling a spinning reel. You didn't list Stren as an option.

I am just too cheap to pay for premium thread when what I've got seems to do the trick for me.

Was with chase creek, big fan of shear 14/0 but just handed some Bennechi 12/0 and can see why Mr Weilenmann uses it so often. Very easy to split, very easy to lie flat, easy to twist and get a tight body without it looking too rib like. Yes I am liking this thread.

UTC is my favorite thread. I also have Uni thread, but when I have used what I got I won't be buying Uni anymore. The flat thread from UTC is just fantastic to work with.

I tie with either GSP 75 denier thread or the GSP Ultra 70 denier...the latter may be pricier but it is REALLY strong and I dont tie that many flies anyways so it doesnt hurt my pocket that much to buy the pricier thread...at 4lb breaking strength and 70 denier I love it...

Usually UTC, in 70 or 140, simply because the nearest fly shop carries only UTC. I have some 6/0 olive Uni that I like, and have never tried Danville, though I have heard good things. UTC works fine, though, so I havent had any call to seek others out.

I like the Danville Flymaster line, but recently got ahold of some Veevus 16-0...OMG! I love this stuff...small and super strong and lies flat.....mmmmmm good!

Murray

I started out using Danville thread, then switched to Uni 6/0 and 8/0. Recently I have been using Griffith's 14/0 and Benecchi's 12/0, and have been enjoying their small diameter, flat wraps and strength. I just picked up some UTC thread in 70 denier and am looking forward to experimenting with that. The Uni 6/0 seems really heavy to me now, although I still use the 8/0 for steelhead flies. For trout flies it is almost always either the Griffith's or Benecchi these days. :)