Fly Tying
CaddisCowboy

Woven Bodies

Yesterday I cruised down to Montrose for the Black Canyon Fly Fishing Show hosted by the Gunnison Gorge Anglers. It was a great show, and I had a lot of fun roaming around and talking to each of the demo tyers. Jason Yeager, of Idylwilde Flies, was kind enough to show me a deadly looking foam hopper pattern that has yet to see the production line. Another tyer, Kim Jensen, tied the crayfish pattern below. I was really interested in learning the various weaves that he uses in his patterns and he was super helpful. I've seen woven patterns in a lot of Czech nymphs, but I was unaware of the versatility of the technique. He tied everything from size 18 extended body mayflies, damselfly nymph abdomens, and massive Salmonfly imitations utilizing various weave techniques. His flies were really neat looking and I'll be trying out some of the techniques I learned in the near future. I was wondering, does anyone else have some "outside-of-the-box" examples of employing weaves into your patterns?

~Evan

post-23124-1268027090_thumb.jpg

Wow that is a really nice effect. I may just have to incorporate that into my skill set.

that looks like a polish over-hand weave. Its a simple teq that you should be able to do after about 3 or 4 trys. If you dont like the end result you can undo it and try again. I did this 3 times on the same hook with out cutting anything off so my first is almost as good as my last. This is a simple and fast way to built bulk and detailed body's in 5min or less.

There are tones of differnt things you can do with this, i make 5 different caddis with this. Its can also make a great stone fly body with a white belly and a gold back. I'll post some pics later today

Lookin' good! Nice tie. Another thing to add to my "to do" list. Maybe I'll get around to it one day!

Here's my own parallel weave favourite: Swimming Damsel Nymph...

post-15497-1268076911_thumb.jpgpost-15497-1268076926_thumb.jpg

I also have a parallel weave step-by-step here if someone's interested...

/Nick

Thanks Runarsson For the SBS.. I've been looking for a good easy to understand SBS of a body weave. Hopefully this helps me learn it.

Thanks again.

Chris

Thanks Runarsson For the SBS.. I've been looking for a good easy to understand SBS of a body weave. Hopefully this helps me learn it.

Thanks again.

Chris

It makes great looking and durable bodies... and isn't hard once you "find your swing".

Here's my 'Montana Slim & Sparkly', woven only to achieve the flat/wide/segmented body shape.

Nothing says you must use different colors just because you can. :rolleyes:

post-15497-1268084187_thumb.jpgpost-15497-1268084197_thumb.jpgpost-15497-1268084177_thumb.jpg

Runarsson I saw a nice tie like yours using v-rib black on the top and clear on the bottom then a colored floss under the clear v-rib. It was the polish weave and it looks great but takes some time even when you can tie them fast. You have to be careful with the v-rib because it breaks easily.

The one I tried came out okay

Wow! Great posts guys. This is exactly the sort of response I was hoping to get....... very helpful, and some really cool looking flies to boot. :clapping:

~Runarsson, thanks for the link. The technique that you outlined is one that I didn't get a chance to learn. I'll need to give that a try, it looks fairly simple. Also, kudos on your Montana Slim & Sparkly. I know a certain river around these parts that a fly like that would slay......... definately gives me a few ideas.

Thanks again for the input everyone. I'll be sure to post any woven patterns I attempt in the future.

~Evan

I've been playing with weaves for awhile now. Interesting stuff. I've tied up a few flies that look really good, but haven't had a chance to try them yet.

Runarsson I saw a nice tie like yours using v-rib black on the top and clear on the bottom then a colored floss under the clear v-rib. It was the polish weave and it looks great but takes some time even when you can tie them fast. You have to be careful with the v-rib because it breaks easily.

The one I tried came out okay

It's easy to get careless when the deal is "equal tension and don't let them slip whatever you do". It's not that far from 'holding tight' to 'pulling hard', especially if you're more focused on the first... and <SNAP> :unsure:

A tip useful to this weave is to use a bobbin (or two). I often use a bobbin for the material that goes on the bottom side. It makes it much easier to reach, gives better control and the material doesn't slip through my hands. It makes it much more comfortable. Then if I need a hand free, I lay the bottom material (temporarily) over the hook and then leave it hanging on the side. With two bobbins, both can be left hanging (again laying the bottom color over the hook first) and there you have the "coffee break luxury" that the overhand weave offers.

'Bitch Creek Slim & Sparkly'

post-15497-1268088068_thumb.jpg post-15497-1268088079_thumb.jpg post-15497-1268088057_thumb.jpg

Just a side note, one of the Hatches mags have a nice article on weaving flies. I can't remember what year it was in, but if you haven't ordered them you are missing out. $10 for 3 issues. I am still upset I waited so long after joining this site to order them.

Thanks for those pics. All of those flies look great. If I only had more time. :D