Fly Tying
breambuster

Forming A Head On A Wetfly.

Hey, guys. I'm looking at the flies in "The Ray Bergman Collection" and was wondering how do you make a head like on these flies? What materials would you use, and how would you go about doing it?

Thanks

BB

BB

I looked at his collection and it looks like the heads have all been either epoxied or coated with laquer. Not sure if this answered your question or not. :blink: But the steps to doing this is to finish the head how you chose with a whip finish or half hitch, etc.. Then apply a coat of laquer or epoxy let it dry then apply another coat. keep doing this until you get the look on the head you are looking for.

MoWestFlyfisher

The heads are just thread. To get the heads right, it is an issue of limiting your number of wraps and putting them in the right place to keep it from getting bulky. If you are using a flat thread like Danville, make sure you untwist it so it lays flat when you wrap it. Build a nice head and whip finish. Then, use a head cement of your choice to finish it. I use clear over the black thread. Some use black cement, varnish, or whatever (not epoxy) your choice is to cover the wraps and make there aren't other colors showing through. Just be careful that you apply only the amount of cement needed or it will wick up into your materials.

Nothing overly complicated, just a little attention to detail.

Deeky.

OK. I have some Waspi Fly Head Cement. Is that the stuff we're talking about? How many coats will I need?

Thanks

BB

Hey BB,

The head cement should work but not sure how many coats it will take depends on its consistency, I use Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails should be able to find it at Wally World or Walgreens. You may get a few weird looks shopping for nail polish but hey its worth it

If I am tying a wet fly for display I will shape it first with thread wraps, then apply one or two coats of black Cellire, followed by one of clear Cellire. If I want the colour(s) of the thread(s) to show I will apply two or three coats of clear Cellire. (If I am in a hurry I will use one coat of Bug Bond.) For fishing flies for myself I am satisfied with a twice-whipped head.

Forming a smooth, nicely-shaped tapered head with flat thread is far more

important in my opinion than what you use to coat it with. You could use 10

coats of Sally Hansen on a lumpy head with jagged wing butts sticking out

over the eye and it would still look terrible. Shiny...but terrible.

Mike

Sally Hanson's also comes in a few different colors. THAT"S when you get the looks! :unsure:

Chase

I agree its weird to go to check out and the cashier gives you a funny look when all you bring up is nail polish :hyst: but its all worth it in the end since the stuff works awesome and its easier on my wallet then ordering head cement online or traveling long distances to find a fly shop.

Forming a smooth, nicely-shaped tapered head with flat thread is far more

important in my opinion than what you use to coat it with. You could use 10

coats of Sally Hansen on a lumpy head with jagged wing butts sticking out

over the eye and it would still look terrible. Shiny...but terrible.

Mike

I found this out really quick

If I am tying a wet fly for display I will shape it first with thread wraps, then apply one or two coats of black Cellire, followed by one of clear Cellire.

Huh, hadn't heard of this stuff before. Can you name a US source off the top of your head? Will have to try some.

For steelhead patterns (similiar enough style), I use epoxy mixed with a little black model paint. May be considered cheating by some, but makes a nice head quickly without having to apply multiple coats.