Fly Tying

thanks for the complements

flytyinfreak, i use that paper because it seems to give me a better picture with it on there and the only light sorce is the flash from the camera

Sweet looking Adams, one of my fav's.

It's embarrassing but if I'm honest half my dry fly box is made up of traditional and para style adams from 20#-10#'s :unsure:

wings are too high and wide

tail should be a mix of brown and grizzly hackle fibers (or moose hair is an acceptable alternative)

hackle it too big also and should be a mix of brown and grizzly

get rid of the paper cone thingy. it puts the fly in a shadow instead of lighting up the fly. all your doing is lighting up the paper cone thingy. move the light source to above the fly.

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/de...cfm?parentID=56

tail should be a mix of brown and grizzly hackle fibers (or moose hair is an acceptable alternative)

get rid of the paper cone thingy. it puts the fly in a shadow instead of lighting up the fly. all your doing is lighting up the paper cone thingy. move the light source to above the fly.

the tail IS brown and grizzly (look carefully, it is not mixed well, but it is there)

the hackle is supposed to be like that (catskill flies were tied with hackle one size larger than normal) and it is brown and grizzly

it is not a cone, its just a cylinder made out of paper, and i am using it because i have goten better pictures from that than anything else.

the tail IS brown and grizzly (look carefully, it is not mixed well, but it is there)

the hackle is supposed to be like that (catskill flies were tied with hackle one size larger than normal) and it is brown and grizzly

it is not a cone, its just a cylinder made out of paper, and i am using it because i have goten better pictures from that than anything else.

The body has a nice taper

the hackle is tied bushier like an adams should be

the length of tail and hackle look like they make the three contact points that is a trademark of the Catskill style.

But I do agree you might look into a different set up then that paper cylinder...it is a little distracting :P

I think you've done a great job on this one Dustin, I think part of what makes this forum so much fun is seeing the differences in the way that each tier ties the some pattern. There is nothing wrong with taking the tried and true in new directions and coming up with your own variations. If every tier tied only established patterns the way the original tier tied them and never ventured from the norm, we wouldn't have the myriad of patterns we do today. We'd still be using a chicken feather wrapped around a bone hook, dangling it from a tree branch....in other words, keep up the good work.

My reaction to this fly is that it needs to be destroyed as it does not have the proper hackle colors in either the tail or the hackle, the wings are too big, and the hackle is too large! Hate to tell you that! Soo; I am offering you space in my Adams box as a repository for it!

Where did you find such an outstanding cape/saddle for tying such wings? I have Chinese and Indian necks that date back to the '50's, but nothing to compare to the very nice widely rounded tips on these two feathers! What a prize! I might consider trading a grandson for it!

IMHO, the hackle is a tad, and I do mean tad!, too long, It should not reach the tips of the wings as it appears to do in the photo. BEAUTIFUL CATSKILL TIE!

The Adams in the link is a Western Style tie, which is identified by the huge amount of almost all brown hackle, required to keep it afloat in freestone streams; but not in the limestone streams of the east, which the Adams was originally tied for, and yours represents.

perchjerker

Great fly dustin! I really do love the wings! It does have a great taper to the body as well.. What size are you tying them in?

Great fly dustin! I really do love the wings! It does have a great taper to the body as well.. What size are you tying them in?

this one is a size 12