Fly Tying
Jordon W

Looking for cheap option to carry all tying stuff

I had a fishpond bag that is the small one. It was handy at first as I only had a few things. Now however.... I have the box my vice came in so I just use that to stick my vise in. Sort out all my materials in bags and stick it in a duffel bag. I have been tying since june and it is amazing how much stuff gets gathered in. I am now about to be moving and think i will need a truck just for tying stuff.

Laptop computer bags and camera bags come in a variety of sizes. Many of them will hold a lot of fly tying materials, and tools. That and hard and soft sided brief cases could be found at local thrift store for a few dollars.

Took your advice and walked in the local thrift store looking for 1. tying material and 2. to see about finding a bag and come to find out I found a nice leather one with MANY pockets. I am now well on my way with my new tying station I built this weekend and my leather bag. Now this MI weather needs to warm up so I can hit the river!

Wally World by me had a couple of the Plano Soft Tackle Bags for less $10.00, that included all the extras.

I carry my stuff around in a plastic tote I got from walmart.Its important that it is mouse proof.before I had all my stuff in a

cardboard box and mice turned it into an expensive condominium. :wallbash:

Not sure if this qualifies as cheap at $40 but I've been eyeing this fly tying bag from Cabelas for awhile now. Anyone out there seen or used this?

I looked at that when i upgraded my kit a while ago and decided to go with the tackle binder in cabelas tackle bag section. it was about $20 cheaper and was pretty much the same thing. I actually bought 2 of them and put all the single pocket sleeves in one binder for my plastics on my boat tackle bag and all the 2 pocket sleeves in the other binder for my fly tying kit. It works great for all my cards of and little bags of materials.

Also its not the cheapest way to go but i went with cabelas large soft tackle bag for my travle kit. It holds 8x 3700 series plano boxes and i bought planos deep utility box in 3700 series and i can fit 4 of them in the bag along with the binder i previously mentioned. I had about $100 in the bag and boxes but it holds so much and is really organized. I know that tackle bags have been mentioned before and you can go smaller for alot cheaper but i have a hard time leaving materials behind when i go to camp for trout or steelhead fishing so i opted to pick up a larger version.

I use a bag from basspro that holds some boxes that can hold a lot of materials. it cost a total of about $25. Hope this helps

i like to use a back pack you can find some good ones when school starts for kids and get a good deal on one that has alot of pockets and some of them now have little radios in them. little country radio and tying flys next to the lake can't beat it...

I'm right there with you. Tying with Country music on is nirvana.

if your looking for a very cheap option, find someone who use to sell marykay chances are they have the hard plastic case that has a top half for all loose materials, with tons of compartments and a bottom half for all tools and large packaged materials. i know its pink but the pink half comes off and can be spray painted.

a compony must have made tons of fly tying boxes and marykay bought them all because they are absolutely perfect.

Not sure if this qualifies as cheap at $40 but I've been eyeing this fly tying bag from Cabelas for awhile now. Anyone out there seen or used this?

I got one for my birthday recently and I like it. definitely not big enough to fit all my materials in...but enough room to take a little selection of stuff if you know what you will be tying.

You might check out this mechanics tool bag from Harbor Freight, I know it sounds goofy, but check it out! There are possiblities here and the price is right.

www.harborfreight.com/25-pocket-mechanics-tool-bag-94432.html

Bob