Fly Tying
Will K

Davie McPhail

Any of you guys know of any good books or DVDs by Davie McPhail. I've really enjoyed his YouTube links - the guy ties simple elegent flies and describes fishing techniques so eloquently... I'd like to read more :)

Hmmm... Looks like a good book, out of stock currently, but Ill check back there and may order that up.

THANKS

Will

I asked Davie a while back about his putting out a dvd and he said he was interested in the idea, however, he has had problems finding a format that could be played universally ..as in anywhere ...US, Europe, Canada, South America , etc.. I told him I believed Divx was pretty well international but I never heard anymore about it. What I have done is subscribed to his youtube page and I get informed with each new post he does. I sometimes have a little trouble understanding everything he says but he is easy to follow when he ties.

I sometimes have a little trouble understanding everything he says but he is easy to follow when he ties.

Davie called me one Sunday 3 or 4 years ago, and we talked for about an hour. I really enjoyed it, and I love all his flies (he's a Master with Classic Salmons), but by the time the conversations was over, I was worn out trying to understand every word of his Scottish accent. The first sentence over the phone when we began was, "Ray, you maaaa 'ave a little trrrrroouble undastandin' maaa."

I did, but it was fun. Davie is quite a man!

Here are many of his Classics: Davie McPhail's (Peaty Mann) Classic Salmon Flies

Ray

sweet! Thanks folks - love the extra info, and learning a little more about McPhail. Sounds like youtube is the primary place to learn more from him... Ill stick there, and keep my eyes out for other options down the road.

-- Wholly smokes - just checked out the salmon flies on the link. WOW!

Hi Everyone,

I thank you all for the kind words, I'm sorry to say that I don't have a book or a good Dvd for sale but to be honest with you even though the videos I have on youtube are a bit rough you will get more info from them rather than buying the Dvd I have here in the U.K. I rarely get a chance now to tye Classic salmon flies just don't have the materials but there's plenty of other flies out there that you can have fun tying..

I hope you don't mind me dropping in as I don't want you wastiing your money...

All the best Davie

Wow!

Cool as heck!!! Thanks for the post Davie!

I really appreciate your time, effort and work on those youtube videos. Both the fishing and tying videos. They have given me great ideas, and helped me refine things I've done in the past!

For now, Ill stick to the you tube's... and if you ever do put together a book or DVD that you feel good about, Ill be in line for sure!

Best wishes for a healthy and well 2011

Will

Add me to the list of people who really enjoy Davie's tying videos. He also seems like a genuinely nice person; I once posted a question on one of his videos on youtube and he got back to me within a couple of hours and sent me a link to a website. He's a class act all the way and a great tier.

I agree with most of you that his posts on youtube are great. I have learned alot about fly tying and alot of new patterns from him and look forward for him to post more videos