Fly Tying
MowestFlyfisher

Treble Hooks does anyone use them

Hey everybody,

I was digging through my tackle box and realized i have a ton of trouble aka treble hooks and was wondering if there are any patterns tied with them.

Thanks in advance

MoWestFlyfisher

It's funny you bring this up. Just a day or two ago I saw an old lure online with 2 treble hooks, and I wondered why people think they need that many hooks. I've been using one hook for years and catch plenty. I remember using double treble hooks years ago with spinning gear, and having a heck of a time getting them all off the fish. I can see using 1 treble (like the flies you might tie) or a double hook fly, but 2 trebles is too much trouble for me.

It's funny you bring this up. Just a day or two ago I saw an old lure online with 2 treble hooks, and I wondered why people think they need that many hooks. I've been using one hook for years and catch plenty. I remember using double treble hooks years ago with spinning gear, and having a heck of a time getting them all off the fish. I can see using 1 treble (like the flies you might tie) or a double hook fly, but 2 trebles is too much trouble for me.

Same here, when I use to spin fish. I was scared of all of those hooks, and as soon as you get one hook out there always seems more get in. I was also afraid that the fish would come off the hooks while shaking and I would get like 3 hooks in my hand. I use to cut some of the front hooks or back hooks off just so it wasn't as bad, check out Davie McPhail on YouTube he has some treble hook flies.

back when i first started getting in to fly fishing i thought about using a treble. when i used to spin fish for trout we would always use corn on a treble and thought about tying something up like that but i found it was more of a hassle than it was worth. i can see tying a skirt on to dress up a spinner or something along those lines but i personally havnt experimented too much with them. However im sure there are quite a few purists around who would agree with the "waterboy's" mom in saying that "treble hooks are the devil" :hyst:

Hey Mowest,

A fellow Show-Me-State boy here.

If you tie anything up for trout on those treble hooks make sure you check the local regulations. I know the Trout “Parks” in Missouri are single point hooks only. You can fish up to 3 fly tandem rigs but each fly can only have one point. I’m not sure about the Red, White, and Blue Ribbon waters. I’d assume the “Fly Only” areas are single point hook only but again, I’m not sure.

-D

Hey all,

Thanks for the input, just was curious to see if there was anything out there for trebles. And the hook in the eye gave me the chills could not imagine that happening although i came close my self had the hook directly below my eye once and in my cheek on another occasion. and thanks for reminding me the troubles with trebles i think i may end up tying some patterns but will remove at least one of the hooks on the treble. kinda like the spey flies.

Small 6-10 for tube flies. before you sceam foul, remember those of us that fish salt water...work great on toothy critters such as spanish mackeral, blue fish etc...

The tubes below has a size 10 treble, arn't many classic salmon flies use twin hooks

P1020694.jpg

DSCN0019_1767.jpg

before flytyer gets in with his google skills

http://www.google.com/images?q=treble+flie...599&bih=815

thanks for taking up the slack on the night shift! :thumbup:

i was already sleeping and dreaming at the time you posted! :sleep1:

TREBLE HOOKS :nono: :eek:

my bad for spelling your username wrong. it was late and my typing gets worse as the night goes