Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
utyer

Crawfish and hellgramites:

Working on some crawfish and hellgramite patterns for smallies in Western Pa. Any input on colors, and or sizes will be appreciated. The craw has squirrell tail claws, copper flash for mouth parts and feelers. Orange dubbing, brown hackle, and a turkey tail back. The hellgramite has a black yarn-grey fox under fur blend with some red and blue ice dubbing mixed in. They are both on a size 4 4xl hook.

post-12074-1300840491_thumb.jpg

post-12074-1300840662_thumb.jpg

post-12074-1300840678_thumb.jpg

Nice job, the only thing I would change is the tail on the Crawfish. I would fold it under to immitate a fleeing Crawfish.

Those are really nice ties. I would try to incorporate movement into your flies. Bass have a different menality than a trout- trout study an insect for imperfections, while bass react and strike what looks and acts like food. I use lots of rabbit hair, marabou, sili legs, and flashy materials.

I was talking to a fly shop owner the other day (also a smallmouth nut) and mentioned how I had noticed fish often strike when the fly is not drifting dead with the current. He had also seen the same. Bass eat lots of things that can swim or crawl against the current. Drag is only a dirty word when using dries. A dead drift will often work, but if it isn't, you can use mending to pause the fly, and thenanother mend to allow it to accelerate. This will often trigger a strike.

Thanks for the tips, I have been doing a few with silicon legs, and flash. Using soft webby hackles to get movement from them as well. I know many of us trout guys and dead drift nuts, but I have always wanted movement within the fly. I will remember your advise about moving the bug as well.

Nice job, the only thing I would change is the tail on the Crawfish. I would fold it under to immitate a fleeing Crawfish.

A good way to acheive this is with rabbit or squirell zonkers for claws. I use them almost exclusively for my creek croaws. Just an idea.