Fly Tying
mcfly

Skill levels?

A.K. says he doesn't really have a pattern down until he's tied 100 of them. (think that's the right number)

I'd say that an accomplished tyer can build a fly that had good proportion, won't fall apart, and can do a pattern fairly consistently. Speed isn't a factor unless it's tied to a paycheck.

An expert can do the above, and every fly that comes off the vise looks the same. An expert (IMO) also knows the entomology behind the pattern, as well as the life cycle or stage of development each pattern imitates.

A master, (again, IMO) does the above, plus has the skills to teach others, and has the artistic sense to create new patterns from unique materials, and can apply an imagined concept to a hook to create new designs.

Sometimes, the great tyers just have a good idea and the excellent PR skills to get their name attached to an idea.

I have a billion more things to learn about it all.

I AM NOT CONCERENED WHAT LEVEL I AM AT.I TIE FLIES FOR FISHING.I ALSO TIE FLIES FOR SALE.THE FLIES I SELL ARE WAY BETTER THAN THE ONES I USE MYSELF.THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN REALY JUDGE WHAT LEVEL YOU ARE AT IS TO TOSS THEM TO THE FISH,AND IF YOU ARE HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU HAVE CREATED.

Interesting topic mcfly and very interesting responses, a very modest bunch of tyers I must say. There is always room for improvement and we are involved with a hobby in which you are continuously learning new tricks, and the learning never ends.

I've always been critical of my own work and I think that is a good thing, if I had nothing to improve upon I think perfection would become rather monotenous after awhile.

The biggest accomplishment for me is being able to teach and pass on my knowledge to others, my fiancee is my lastest prodigy, along with her 7 year old god son. We are now his official favorite babysitters and all he wants to do when he comes over is tie flies with me. I've taught several people flytying and quite a few others how to cast.

The best sense of accomplishment is seeing someone who you've taught to tie and cast land their first fish, that's what I enjoy most.

Thanks for the great post mcfly!

I'd consider myself somewhere between totally incompetent and competent. rolleyes.gif

If you've seen me try to spin multi colored deer hair bugs you'd know EXACTLY where the incompetent side comes from!!! tongue.gif

I kind of know what you mean in regards to asking the question though, as Angi has asked me the same thing as far as how my quality stacks up with others when I get into swaps with people that really tie alot like those that are on here. she knows I can catch fish on my bugs but she also knows that doesn't mean they're tied well because it seems like more than half the flies in my boxes are rejects that I won't send to someone else. Especially my steelhead boxes! AND she's seen my first flies from too many years ago. sick.gif

I think she just wants some re-assurance that I know what I'm doing. dunno.gif

Hi Group,

This is a tough question. It's puts you in a kind of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" position. I've been introduced at demo's or programs I do as a master tier but I really don't know what that is. When people ask me what level I'm at I have alway responded "darned good." I don't feel threatened by anyones skills and can tie just about any pattern. BUT! Have you ever noticed there is always a BUT? Recently I've been looking over flies on the salmon and steelhead section of this site and DARN there are some really great tiers over there. Four names that immediately come to mind are Will, Scottie, Jerry, and Charlie. I know there are others but I'm having a senior moment so forgive me for missing several others.

By the way, I did get a box of flies from Will today and they were beautiful. I don't know what level he is at but his flies are as good as the same flies tied by Marvin Nolte or Paul Jorgensen. I guess there is a point when you can not get any better on a particular style. Are you a Master Bass Bug Tier but a beginner at another discipline? No, I don't think so. I think there is a point when a person can not get any better at material control/selection and that's what fly tying is about. Poorly tied flies are the result of a person who didn't control the material or know how to select the proper material for the job. Oh, well what do I know about it? <G> There is a saying that as we get older we become more child like; I guess that means I'm becoming a beginner again!! Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

I think she just wants some re-assurance that I know what I'm doing

Or not wasting all that hard earned cash. She did ask the day after I mentioned a vice I was interested in for my Christmas present.

i want to say i'm in between competant and profesional

i know i've only been tying for 6 years but i tie just about everyday ad do a lot of experimenting and sites like this help a lot

Merriam Webster Dictionary Definitions:

Master:

Main Entry:1mas*ter

Pronunciation:*mas-t*r

Function:noun

1 : a male teacher; also : a person holding an academic degree higher than a bachelor's but lower than a doctor's

2 : one highly skilled (as in an art or profession)

3 : one having authority or control

4 : VICTOR : SUPERIOR

5 : the commander of a merchant ship

6 : a youth or boy too young to be called mister — used as a title

7 : an original from which copies are made

Competent:

Main Entry:com*pe*tent

Pronunciation:-t*nt

Function:adjective

: CAPABLE : FIT : QUALIFIED

Professional:

Main Entry:1pro*fes*sion*al

Pronunciation:pr*-*fe-sh*-n*l

Function:adjective

1 : of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession

2 : engaged in one of the professions

3 : participating for gain in an activity often engaged in by amateurs

–pro*fes*sion*al*ly adverb

I think I'm competent.

Do you want to know what a real beginner is? I have tied three wooly buggers, three clousers, and one hackle fly in two fly tying class sessions. Now, I am a beginner for sure. The rest of you are far beyond simply beginner. Maybe at least an accomplished beginner. wink.gif)

James

Experienced beginner

Two weeks ago i started (trying) tying fulldressed salmon flies, before that i felt advanced...now i'm sure that i'm not biggrin.gif

I believe flytying will be booring the day that i no longer see any improvements in my skill.

Jakob

By the way, I did get a box of flies from Will today and they were beautiful. I don't know what level he is at but his flies are as good as the same flies tied by Marvin Nolte or Paul Jorgensen

Al

You shouldn't say things like that about Will (It will go straight to his head) flex.gif

We need to slap him down now because he's getting real upidée nono.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

OSD.

Bob,

What did I tell you? I said to address me as Sir William Mullis. Geez it's so hard trying to deal with the common folk rolleyes.gif

laugh.gif

None of the above just trying to improve daily.

Could we please have some ice for Will's head and asprins for the rest of us. j_k.gif

tt