Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dreamcaster4639

tyers block

I have had 3 kid free days to tie and I end up staring at all of the stuff and going through drawers. I can't seem to get the tying juices flowing. Does anyone else ever get this problem and how do u get past it. Its hopper and ant season here and i can't make the simplest pattern look like anything but a mess. :(

I have had 3 kid free days to tie and I end up staring at all of the stuff and going through drawers. I can't seem to get the tying juices flowing. Does anyone else ever get this problem and how do u get past it. Its hopper and ant season here and i can't make the simplest pattern look like anything but a mess. :(

As with anything creative, my rule is not to force myself. If I'm not feeling it I'm better off doing something else. Chores are what you do because you have to even when you don't want to. Tying shouldn't be a chore.

we all get it sometimes somethings I do to overcome it is 1. I look through the tiers benchside reference and find a technique I haven't tried before and start practicing it till I get it down. 2. I search the pattern database for something new. 3. join a swap. 4. go buy a new material.

hope one of these suggestions help. But not to be condescending with 3 days of no kids I think fishing would be higher on the list then tying.

It has happened to me this weekend. I finally got home from being on the road for work for two weeks during which I was feening for my vice, sit down in front of it and just kind of felt foreign. I was able to get over it by web searching some of the trout waters near my Mom's house to see what was producing there.

we all get it sometimes somethings I do to overcome it is 1. I look through the tiers benchside reference and find a technique I haven't tried before and start practicing it till I get it down. 2. I search the pattern database for something new. 3. join a swap. 4. go buy a new material.

hope one of these suggestions help. But not to be condescending with 3 days of no kids I think fishing would be higher on the list then tying.

That's what i mainly do.

Hey try this:

I haven’t been tying flys long enough to have that problem, but I absolutely know plenty about the creative block.

There is a method to the solve. First, you cannot be mentally solving world, family, personal, or business problems. Nor can you be worried about where the kids are or why they are there. Everyone needs down time. I’d go where they sell mags and purchase a fly fishing rag or two or three. Go relax somewhere you like to be, it doesn’t have to be at home, and read an article or two. This will give your brain a chance to shift gears. If you nod off while reading, that’s fine, in fact it is great. Maybe even read something with nothing to do with fly fishing but it is a subject that you enjoy. Take a relaxing shower and eat something simply fun to eat but not too sweet or filling. Think about one of your best experiences catching that special fish and the fly that did the deed. Get your favorite beverage and take it to the fly tie bench area and decide to just enjoy a simple aunt fly tie. The reason I picked an aunt fly is because it is so simple. This gives you a chance to complete a small project and gain that feeling of success. Nothing helps us be more creative than completing a task. It doesn't make a darn if you screw it up because you are just there to relax and enjoy the self indulgence. If you toss two or three in the trash bin so what, you are doing it just for you and no one else cares or knows. You have no pressure to perform and that is what you are going to like about the process it just doesn’t matter.. I’m betting you tie some great flys.

I used to use this method when I had to come up with new and efficient jigs and fixtures to make aircraft parts. I had a process I used to remind myself that I loved designing good projects. Then I would create a list of the requirements and put them in order of importance. That took most of the strain off the task because it became an organized list of simpler tasks. Then I fired up the CAD system and played for a living designing the project. The results were usually very effective and often, I even surprised myself.

Cameron sounds like me. Tying shouldn't be a chore. If I'm away from tying for a little bit, like a week or two, I almost have to be re-trained. What I hate is being pressured, like the deadline for a swap (although I've been in 50+/- of them so far). Then it seems like a chore. I agree that tying should be relaxing. I don't get all worked up about speeding up my tying, I'm not a production tyer, I'm a "recreational" tyer - it relaxes me, and I feel comfortable when I'm at the vise.

Just my $.02

I dont get too worried about not tying every day or even weekly. After 30+ years of tying its nice to have a break every now and then

In my case of extreme block, I had the same problem with flyfishing in general. Walked away from it "for a while" and only came back ten years later.

Rocco

it's almost Salmon and Steelhead time..........tie up some killer egg patterns......simple and easy......after a few, your mind will start to drift away to other patterns........let it come to you......