Fly Tying
novabass

Low cost Vise?

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and to fly tying. I am interested in purchasing a vise. I'm not real sure how I will progress with this, so I'm looking to get a low cost vise if possible. Do you have any you could recommend?

I did see a kit on Bass Pro Shops web site that included other materials for around $60.00, but I'm not sure what direction to go at this point. Since I am primarily a bass fisherman, I do plan on tying flies for bass.

Any suggestions you all have would be appreciated.

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and to fly tying. I am interested in purchasing a vise. I'm not real sure how I will progress with this, so I'm looking to get a low cost vise if possible. Do you have any you could recommend?

I did see a kit on Bass Pro Shops web site that included other materials for around $60.00, but I'm not sure what direction to go at this point. Since I am primarily a bass fisherman, I do plan on tying flies for bass.

Any suggestions you all have would be appreciated.

Hi,

To be honest, most experienced tiers do not recommend kits because the materials are not that good a quality. I looked at one from Bass Pro for about $65. It did not look too bad,had good customer reviews, and it might get you started tying reasonably. I'm not sure how much money you wish to initially invest, but once you get into it you will want a better vise, most likely, than the one in the kit. Also, it helps if you know what you'd like to start tying.

Whatever you are thinking, starting out with a kit often times help you determine if you like tying or not, but I must also note that an inexpensive vise might not perform as well as a more expensive one, and may cause a beginner some frustrations. Based on the reviews it appears this kit would be an adequate beginning.

Mark

If you are the type of person that tries all sorts of new things but tends not to stick with them, starting out

with a low cost kit might be the best bet for you. However, if you are the type of person who usually has a

pretty good idea of what he/she is going to like and usually sticks to it, spending a bit more in the beginning

could well be more economical in the long run and thus a better choice for the reasons soft-hackle gave.

Griffin Enterprises has a very nice vise as a web exclusive deal. The vise is made in Montana, and is a cam operated jaw type with an adjustable head angle. Griffin makes very good quality vises. You can see it here:

Griffin Web Vise

Thanks guys, great replies!

I have to say the Griffin looks to be the best so far.

@Soft-hackle

Thank you for the views on the kit. I wasn't so sure about it, so it is good to know an opinion from an experienced tier.

I'm thinking I'm going to pass on the kit.

As far as what I want to start tying. I see so many cool flies I want to tie, I would say I want to start with the basics and work my way up. I just hope with the help of a book or video, I can learn what I need to know.

Utyer,

Dang! That Grffin looks real nice for the price, and they do make good stuff.

novabass,

That Griffin looks pretty nice for the price. The Anvil Apex is also a good sturdy vise which is of good quality. It also comes with a table clamp and pedestal base, I believe. My son owns one, and I can vouch that it does a great job. You need to start out slowly and build your tying repertoire and materials/ Start by tying rather larger flies like Wooley Buggers, etc, then work down to the smaller flies. Don't be afraid to strip the stuff off the hook and start over if you don't like your results. Starting out with good tools and materials usually results in decent flies. Be patient, and it'll work for you. There are some good tutorials on this site that can help you as well. When I first started, I had a little stamped out vise that came in a Knoll Fly tying kit. I had no bobbin to hold the thread, just a clip clothes pin to weight a very long piece of tying thread. Evenually,I got a better vise and the right tools to help, but it took me time to build my stash of stuff.

If we can help answer questions, feel free.

Mark

Of your wanting a cheap starter vise I'll give you te one I had for $10 plus shipping. If you want pictures I can post some.

Of your wanting a cheap starter vise I'll give you te one I had for $10 plus shipping. If you want pictures I can post some.

Yes, pics would be great.

Thank you

Check out J Stockard's starter kits, too. For about $30 you're up and running and yeah, it's not top of the line but a solid outfit to start on. I've since upgraded vises but I'm still using some of the tools two years later.

You can check it out here: Link to JS Fly Fishing starter kit

Check out J Stockard's starter kits, too. For about $30 you're up and running and yeah, it's not top of the line but a solid outfit to start on. I've since upgraded vises but I'm still using some of the tools two years later.

Ohhhhhh, I like what is included and the price is right too!

EDIT - Okay, I bought it!

Thank you for the info!

:)

Ohhhhhh, I like what is included and the price is right too!

And.....Buying from J Stockard supports one of our site sponsors...always a good thing for the Forum ;)

I started by tying small poppers for BG and Bass using a cheap imitation Thompson A vise and it worked OK. I then went to deer hair bugs and the vise would not hold the hooks because of the required thread tension for spinning the hair. I welded a small pair of thin nosed vise grips to a 3/8" rod and used the cheap vise table clamp. I still use the vise grips for spinning. Cheap and effective. For all of my normal tying I use a Nor-vise. The vise grips actually work pretty well for general tying. The don't rotate but neither do the good Thompson A vise and they will hold anything under much more thread tension than will ever be needed for any tying.

I just started tying myself. My first vise was a Griffin Superior 2A (very similar to the web offer w/o the cam). It lasted about 2 months before I had to upgrade. For bass flies it might work fine for you. I'm tying saltwater flies and found that a rotary is really what I wanted. Try tying a baitfish pattern where you're constantly having to flip the hook and you'll upgrade in no time. I just picked up a Renzetti Saltwater Traveler. It was between that and the Dyna-King Trekker but one of our shops was closing and I got a good deal on the Renzetti.

Good luck! I think no matter what you start with you'll find it very enjoyable.

I still use a Super AA vise from J. Stockard. It's only $11.95 and it works as a vise should. It's great for the price if you're not looking for a rotary vise. B)