Fly Tying
Toirtis

Vise Pics, please!

I have a few vises (Dyna-King Pro and Supreme, Regal, Xuron and my first vise a Thompson) but my favorite vise to use by far and away is my Thomas vise. AKA the "Darbee" vise. It's a relic from days past but just has beautiful lines and is simple.

Harry and Elsie Darbee used this vise to tie virtually all of their flies...hence the name. They also sold the vise out of their shop. When they stopped tying, Jimmy Deren of the Angler's Roost in NYC picked them up and carried them until he passed away. They have quite a storied and colorful history in the Catskills. Xuron reproduced it for a while but stopped I think. Same design just modernized but with a pedestal no C clamp version.

These old Thomas's are hard to find and I got this one on that auction site five or six years ago. Every time I sit down to tie flies on this vise I wonder how many fly ters before me used it. How many flies has it tied, etc. I truly wish I had the history of this vise.

Thomas_Vise.jpg

I don't have the "collector's" gene. I have no such interest in nostalgia, your desire to know "how many flies it's tied."

I do appreciate the simple efficiency and design of that vise. Brilliant engineering that puts the more "aesthetic" and complex vises to shame, if you ask me.

Alas, I have a modern vise, since that's what is available. No need for a picture of an Odyssey.

Some fine looking vises/vices there. I don't buy vises because they'll help me tying better flies (well, the first one did) but because I like the looks of them. How shallow is that. I have a very modest collection of fairly recently-made vises, no antiques, and I like them all. It's a shame I can only tie on one at a time.

I may be wrong here, but I don't think a vise will make you a better tier. At least that's not been true for me. I've got a fine Renzetti rotary vise, but it doesn't tie any better than my Anvil Apex, it just makes it slightly easier.

All the videos I see of people with super-expensive vises, like J-vice and LAW vises show professional, talented tiers using them in the stationary mode. Makes me wonder.

wsbailey and Mikechell,

(Bill) Yeah, I've stumbled on that fellow's vises as well. You posted that on Clark's to right? Absolutely fascinating (and beautiful!) vises in true "Steam punk" style. I'd love to have one but his price range is $2,500 - $15,000!!! Makes a used LAW seem...reasonable huh?

(Mikechell)

Yeah, I'm with you in the "collector's gene". I'm a fan of old vises but don't have the addiction like other folks I know. Just so you don't think I'm a total crotchety old fart, here is my modest collection:

Front row: Unknown (But it doesn't work very well), Chase vise, Thomas "Darbee" vise, Dyna-King Supreme, Regal

Back row: Dyna-King Pro, Xuron (Darbee vise repro)

Everyone has their opinion, obviously, but if I had to pick which one is the all-round best, easiest to use and utilitarian I'd say the Regal. One thing you'll notice is the newer the vise the bigger, heavier and bulky they are. The old ones are light, slim and elegant in my opinion...the Chase especially so.

vises.JPG

(Mikechell)

Yeah, I'm with you in the "collector's gene". I'm a fan of old vises but don't have the addiction like other folks I know. Just so you don't think I'm a total crotchety old fart, here is my modest collection:

LOL So, NOT having a collection makes me a "total crotchety old fart"?

I KNEW there was some reason I was this way.

happy.png

DrLogik - Kool collection and thanks for sharing. Walt Dette tied on a watch maker's vise. The Xuron style vise looks like it would be ideal for size #10 to #18 trout flies. They definately don't look like they are up to the task of a #3/0 or larger saltwater hook. Even Regal has multiple heads for different applications.

I don't know if there is an "all-round" best. Just like fly rods/reels, we need more than one unless you just do one size/style of flies or one kind of fishing. I just look at it as the "appropriate" tool for the job.

Yeah, that was me Grant. Collecting vises is something I haven't done much of but I probably would if i could. I did get a Xuron vise off of eBay years ago but the jaws are a bit worn. I have managed to acquire a small collection of hackle pliers. Those old Herter's pliers grip like jaws of death. Bill

I just bought this as a gift to myself! I have only tied about 5 dozen flys on it but I sure do like it!!

attachicon.gifFullSizeRender.jpg

I have always wanted a HMH to tie my dries on. Maybe one of these days.

I just bought this as a gift to myself! I have only tied about 5 dozen flys on it but I sure do like it!!

attachicon.gifFullSizeRender.jpg

I have always wanted a HMH to tie my dries on. Maybe one of these days.

I finally cashed in my change jar after 3 years of saving. I was tying on a Peak rotary which is awesome. This HMH sure gives me much more accessibility to the hook seeing as I have large hands.

My apologizes for the pic quality. This was a quick setup taken with my phone. All 6 I use from time to time.

post-57765-0-52163900-1454286651_thumb.jpg

Though the Griffin Mongoose is the only one that is more than $100, they all serve the purpose. By the way, don't tell the wife. She only knows of 3. She bought the Mongoose for a Christmas present about 5 years ago.