Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Aqueous1025

Looking for feedback

very nice Mickey Finns a couple of things to watch if your trying to tie to the recipe on that size hook you want there to be only wraps on the rib plus when you tie in the rib make sure it is tied in at the bottom of the hook and ends on top of the hook other then that I like them alot plus as a bonus they will catch fish

i would try to reduce the size of the heads by 1/2.

mickey finn bucktails do not have a pheasant tippet tail

there is no red butt on a traditional mickey finn

clean up the bend area on the first fly

reference

http://www.danica.com/flytier/ttrexler/mickey_finn.htm

as always, tyers preference supersedes all other tyers opinions :)

They look good! These guys have critiqued the tying, but you should note that when tying the hair that long, compared to the hook length, most any type hair may often have a tendency to foul, particularly with long shank hooks. If you look at the Mickey Finn in the link that flytire posted, the hair length is just to the bend of the hook. This is primarily to keep the hair from wrapping around the hook & fouling in the bend, and it helps with short strikes. When you go longer, there is a length at which they will be less likely to foul, but you may have to experiment some to find that optimal length for the hair & hooks you're using. So, if you find you have a problem with them fouling, then either go a bit longer in hair length or shorten them, as in the posted link.

Although, I have to admit that most traditional hair wing flies I've tied, were tied long as you have them, as they just have more action to them. I'm willing to trade the occasional fouling & short strikes for a fly that has more action to it! :)

Cool, thank you guys for the feedback. I tied the hair in 1 and a 1/2 times the hook shank because the book I am using said to. Next time I will try them out shank length and start a little closer to the eye to shorten the head. I was afraid of crowding the head and so I think I over compensated LOL.

Just to add, that the upper bunch of yellow hair is supposed to equal both bunches of the red and yellow hair below it in the amount used, and keep the lower two pretty sparse. If you didn't try this already, you can wrap the thread once around each bunch of hair one full turn right before laying it down into position on your hook. This will help keep the bundles more seperated color wise. They came out really nice for a first attempt :)

Regards,

Mark

Just to add, that the upper bunch of yellow hair is supposed to equal both bunches of the red and yellow hair below it in the amount used, and keep the lower two pretty sparse. If you didn't try this already, you can wrap the thread once around each bunch of hair one full turn right before laying it down into position on your hook. This will help keep the bundles more seperated color wise. They came out really nice for a first attempt :)

Regards,

Mark

I was wondering if someone would mention the "1:1:2" ratio of the yellow:red:yellow wing. That's how I'd tie it if reproducing it in its classic dressing. However, I've noticed that many sources make no note of this. Also, Joseph Bates' Streamer Fly Tying & Fishing has a photo of a Mickey Finn tied by Knight. The wing on Knight's fly is very full and quite long, 1-1/2 to 2x the length of the entire fly on what appears to be a 3XL or 4XL hook.

The technique Mark mentioned of using separate wraps should help gather each group of color in most instances. However, I don't know how much it will help in your case, since the bucktail you're using appears quite crinkly, and the crinkly hairs will still want to mix. If you have some straighter hair on the tail, I'd consider selecting it, stacking it slightly, and tying it on per Mark's recommendation. Allegedly, the bold red lateral line was the "killing" feature of this pattern, so doing what you can to maintain this effect will keep the pattern closer to original.

Ribbing is really per personal preference, and I might wear out my welcome by stating my preference, so take it only as a suggestion. On a tinsel bodied streamer, I'd prefer to see less ribbing. The first fly pictured has 13 turns of oval silver; I'd reduce that to six or seven turns on your 3XL-4XL hooks. I find that too many turns of ribbing creates a bumpy look that detracts from a well-formed, flat tinsel body. You might see how it appeals to you.

Forming a neat head and keeping it of modest size is always a challenge with bucktails. As it is, yours don't look too shabby. Make every thread wrap at the head count. If you're using a thread that can be flattened (i.e., Danville Flymaster, Ultra, etc), then don't forget to remove the thread twist with CCW turns of the bobbin. Doing so will keep the head smaller and smoother. Keep at it and good luck.

-Eric

I haven't tied a "recipe" for more than 10 years. I do tend to tie my own patterns, but if I'm doing a Clouser or a deciever or whatever, I tie it how it looks best to me and how I know it'll work. Yeah, the fowling thing is true but sometimes it's just part of it if the fly fishes the way you want it to.

Maybe work on making your heads a bit smaller and cleaner, but other than that, I'd fish any of those and not worry about ratio of anything unless you're tying for the sake of classic design.