Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Flyman416

Spinner fly.

Hey guys so my Aunt gave me this along with 12 more in an old fly tin with coils to hold the hooks in place, there was some materials on it but it was very beat up so i cut it off and i have no idea on what to replace it with, Any suggestions?

post-36252-0-03441700-1325225824_thumb.jpg

it's definitely old-school. I make spinners all the time. The way the wire is formed around the bead, and held in place with a collar is very interesting. I don't see a bearing bead between the clevis and the tag end of the wire, but it could just be the angle of view. You could dress the hook any way you want. Personally, I'd stay with some old, well known bucktail patterns, like a Mickey Finn. Either that, or just a tinsel body and whatever color bucktail you want.

also, agree with Flytire, the pic is gigantic, cropping out all but the important stuff would make it easier to view.

Some times I use a lure like that when I spinfish, just throw a grub on the end and call it a day. The grub should add enough weight to make it castable.

Maybe its just me but that doesn't look like something that I would care to try to cast on a fly line with that big willow blade swirling through the air.

Hi Flyman416,

They're quite a bit like the Joe's Flies brand of spinners, only without the treble hook behind the first one. Here's a link to their site to give you some more ideas. They have quite a variety there.

http://www.joesflies.com/shop/catalog/index.html

Regards,

Mark

My guess without seeing what you took off.

It looks like what the used to fish for walleyes with. You put a large nightcrawler on and cast it into a river that held walleyes. The fly was minimal or often there was no fly. The worm was only hooked in the front third and dangled in the current with the blade spinning it attracted walleyes. It wasn't usually cast with a fly rod.

The walleye spinners were "willow leaf" or "junebug" shape. They did make wet flies with spinners for panfish and bass but they were usually a smaller spinner. Do you have access to George Herter's book? Good place to start.

Hey flytire i dont know how to shrink the photo if you tell me how ill fix it thanks

And JS... Ill take a picture of the other side to show the mechanism that attaches the blade.

T-Boll

This could be effective fished just as it is. I see no real need to tie anything onto the hook. The blade should provide sufficient 'enticement'.

tie some wet fly patterns, the older gaudy ones work great on them. have made them for bass and stock trout in the early season.post-624-0-78193400-1325336979_thumb.jpg

Here is the other side of the bait (1) along with a few that i have not cut away(2). the one i cut off was about like these only green.

1. post-36252-0-67521800-1325481865_thumb.jpg

2. post-36252-0-81081500-1325481748_thumb.jpg

(sorry still don't know how to downsize a photo)

I tried to go for "an old gaudy look" but i'm not sure that's what happened but here it is better then when i got it. (I think) :)

post-36252-0-75941700-1325482826_thumb.jpg