Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
shoebop

glue thinner

I left the cap off of my Krazy Glue too long and it got thicker. I'm sure I'm not the first to do this so...

Does anyone know what thinner to use for:

-Super Glue/Krazy Glue

-nail polish (I tried nail polish remover and it made the clear polish turn milky) Would pure acetone be a better choice?

Most nail polish removers have a mix of stuff in them. Get one that is JUST acetone, that works on all my nail polish just fine.

I am nearly certain that once cyanoacrylate glue polymerizes it can not be reduced back to soluble monomers. So just toss your krazyglue and buy smaller tubes.

a whole lot of nail polish, I won't say most because I don't know, use Ethyl Acetate as a solvent not acetone. Acetone works great too most of the time as Utyer said. Best to read the label of whatever paint/polish you have. It will say right in the ingredients whether it contains Acetone or Ethyl Acetate. I don't know a convenient place to get a can of EA, I get mine from BioQuip for insect collecting purposes and as a side benefit it's useful in fly tying. You can get Acetone at any hardware store.

I've never heard of trying to thin out cyanoacrylate glue.

Lesson learned, loose caps means a store run for more super glue. Once it's starts bonding it's over. If you use crazy glue I prefer the bottle with the brush applicator. It has a large opening that rarely gets glued shut and you can close the cap with one hand while the other is busy holding materials. The opening is plenty big enough to stick a bodkin in if the brush applicator is to large for the application at hand.

I know what not to use. I once used nail polish remover to thin some SHHN and it melted the brush fibers and turned the clear to a dark amber color. Ruined that bottle of Sally Hanson's.

I kills me that Acetone is a primary ingredient in Nail Polish Remover. Acetone is harmfull and there have been reports of kidney and liver issues to those exposed to high concentrations.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice. I was not aware of the properties of Super Glue until now.

wallyv

For your edification, if acetone were as harmful as you say, this old goat, who has had worked with it for the better part of 55+ years of his current 75+, would be dust by now. This goes as well for Toluene (Toluol), Xylene (Xylol), and many other readily available solvents. In the first place, if the public hazard (risk) was as bad as you infer, the EPA WOULD NOT allow it's sale to the public; which they, in fact, do, as it is readily available in all places where paint thinners and solvents are sold.

Moreover, the damage referred to comes about as a result of prolonged daily exposure; NOT casual exposure, such as would be experienced by someone using it as described here, or by some 'sweet young thing' (or gray-haired 'Granny') removing the polish from their nails.

There is no cause for such alarm.

wallyv

For your edification, if acetone were as harmful as you say, this old goat, who has had worked with it for the better part of 55+ years of his current 75+, would be dust by now. This goes as well for Toluene (Toluol), Xylene (Xylol), and many other readily available solvents. In the first place, if the public hazard (risk) was as bad as you infer, the EPA WOULD NOT allow it's sale to the public; which they, in fact, do, as it is readily available in all places where paint thinners and solvents are sold.

Moreover, the damage referred to comes about as a result of prolonged daily exposure; NOT casual exposure, such as would be experienced by someone using it as described here, or by some 'sweet young thing' (or gray-haired 'Granny') removing the polish from their nails.

There is no cause for such alarm.

hi perchjerker

I'm super glad you are still around after 75 years; honestly no malice intended.

Sorry but I don't buy what you say. I understand this stuff has been for sale to the general public forever along with Toluol (its used in the old version of Gudebrod color preserver), and Xylene (cleaning products) .

After having a parent die from a disease that could have been brought on by exposure to some of these so called 'safe' chemicals and myself almost put in an early grave by a doctor who insisted "that drug does not create the symptomes your are having"

I am extra carefull and somewhat unbelieving.

They used to say waste motor oil was safe at least where I worked back in the seventies, I was covered with the stuff from head to toe :-); Now they know that waste motor oil is loaded with Benzene - one of the most cancer causing chemicals known to plants and animals and its absorbed through the skin! That is one of the reasons mechanics are starting to wear impermeable gloves!

Of course the most famous one is agent orange - "here drink this stuff you young whipper snapper, it won't hurt yah; puts hair on your chest ..."

with all due respect - I don't believe you can ever be too carefull around man made chemicals

we are so totally immersed in "man-made" chemicals that we should all be dead by 30 or so. Instead the AVERAGE life span just keeps getting longer.

not saying any of it is GOOD, and there is no arguing that chronic exposure or intermittent overexposure can cause many ugly diseases.

Too much of ANYTHING will kill you.

Wow! This question turned a corner that I never envisioned. I hope every one's alright out there. :unsure: