Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
nightheron

Animal Flies

As we all know, fish eat things well outside the spectrum of bugs, crustaceons and other fish. I chase monster bown trout and muskies on several different flies designed to resemble animals. I also bet I'm not the only guy out there throwing beef at big fish. I would love to see how many of you out there are as willing as I am to sling big beef and what kind of beef you like to sling! I've started the ball rolling with a baby mink and a baby muskrat. Both are three hooked triple articulating flies. Foam head and tail, craft fur bodies, rabbit strip legs and moose hair whiskers. Not lifelike representations, but proven in battle. Excited to see what the rest of the world considers "beef." post-30681-0-99047300-1327989548_thumb.jpg

I wish I had pictures right now, this is one of the best threads I've seen in months.....I chuck fat mice in the middle of the night with a headlamp and my fingers crossed praying for giant brown trout. let's keep this thread up top!

I don't have any "critter" flies but do have something that tourists down here in Florida probably wouldn't like to hear about. My shark flies are all deliberately tied up in the exact same color as life preservers....

I'm thinking big Pike. Still working up to decent mouse and frog flies up here. A baby duck would also be a good one for Pike. Looking forward to seeing everyone's little critter samples!

Guest rich mc

now you got me thinking... i have a big worm fly that i can add legs to to make a salamander. thanks rich mc

I don't have any "critter" flies but do have something that tourists down here in Florida probably wouldn't like to hear about. My shark flies are all deliberately tied up in the exact same color as life preservers....

HAHAHAHA Awesome.

I got a squirrel fly for musky, after I witnessed the wrath first hand. looks a lot like nightherons fly but a little bigger and impossible to cast.

Hey Bob, maybe you can do a spun deer hair thigh. I understand bull sharks really like thighs. Especially tourist thighs...maybe on a foam surfboard.

To be brief, Florida is the shark bite capitol of the world... the good news is 95% of all bites are mistakes and the animal never comes back for a second bite (of course you're still going to need a lot of stitches and your vacation won't go as you planned...). If you ever hear of someone badly hurt or killed the bull shark is the number one suspect... those things just aren't funny. Every shark I've ever drawn up to the boat will just jump on a bright orange fly, though.

DSC00732.jpg

This is my night mouse. The hole is NOT to make it whistle while casting. It's for a micro glow stick that is normally used on bobbers by those going after catfish. Untested, but I think it will work quite well to help detect a strike. If not, I will just leave it out.

Big means big fish. I remember someone who got laughed at because as he was jigging for live herring for salmon and he nabbed a 19" herring-I am not kidding. anyways, that herring nabbed him a 70 pd Chinook. I like the flies. being pike and musky are reactionary feeders I can imagine they would go nuts for those. by the way, add human feet for muskies. I saw pics of a guy who was dangling his feet off his dock on the madawaska river north of Ottawa. A musky likely 5 ft in length grabbed his foot and left serious tooth marks after he had to kick it several times for it to release. The bigger the better.

Here is a simple fly from MCfluffchucker who is from acotland. simple pattern to tie. I have seen very similar done with rabbit too. great tier for pike!

marc

This a slightly different version of what I had posted previously. I did tie up a few last year but added barbell eyes so that it would ride upside down. Don does not add eyes to the fly, but I think it really would put the fly over the edge. I also think the bigger the fly the better.

marc

Bruce, I can't stress how impressive your spinning skills are. I saw your frog on a previous thread and have shown it off to a dozen or more buds. Thanks for adding it, kinda classes the joint up!