Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sherrib

Professional Tying

It use to be even worse Jax. Up till about 3-4 years ago they never had the "up to $10 limit" on that FET. So back then if I sold a rod for $300 I had to send the IRS $30 of that :o Then a few years back they capped it at $10 thankfully.

sherrib,

I can't answer your question, but I can send you some fly tying materials if that would be of any help. I would not want to get you in any trouble with the IRS and I do not know the law...

Once you get started, PM me a list of things you need. I'm sure I can send you a few things on your list.

Don

Thanks, there are no local fly shops but there are some bait shops, thought I might ty some stuff and take to those places.

Baitshops are a good place I have 2 regular baitshops I tie for you would be surprised how busy the non typical flyshop will keep you plus the baitshops I tie for are on my home water so if people are in there asking about the river they will call me and if something is working for me that the shop doesn't carry I usually get a sale outside of the shop

I don't have much to add than what has already been said. I'm sorry to hear about the seizures. Besides what other problems I have, I also have epilepsy. I know all too well what you're going through. Seizures are no fun. I started having seizures out of nowhere in 2009. My family hates seeing me have a tonic-clonic (grand mal) seizure because they are very scary.

One other possibility for those with fly tying skills... and that is lure making - particularly jig making. You can find manufacturers that will produce ready to tie jig heads in almost every shape, size, and color that are ready to tie up when you get them. A simple (or fancy) bucktail, or synthetic tail (or feather), with a bit of flash will be head and shoulders better than what most shops are selling for their anglers. My lure making these days is almost half of my shop time when I'm not guiding... and on an hourly basis, probably more lucrative... Hope this helps, here's a pic or two of what I do for saltwater anglers down here in south Florida (fresh or salt, each area of the country will have their own favorites, a quick look in your local bait shops will show what they're selling...).

Tight lines

Bob LeMay

post-30940-0-70304600-1331123089_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-99201200-1331123162_thumb.jpg

One other option would to try and become a royalty tier for Umpqua Feather Merchants. If you have original patterns you can submit them to Umpqua for consideration. They pay a royalty to the designer for every fly they sell. If you have original panfish patterns you might have better luck than with trout patterns. Here in Sacramento we have several tyers who have done this. It is not easy to be selected and it takes time for the process to be completed, but you avoid the IRS issue, as you are not tying the flies. Use the contact form on their website for more information on how to get started. B)

Interesting. Never knew there was something that specifically targeted the fishing industry. Gotta love the .gov!

The federal excise tax on hunting and fishing goods doesn't "target" anybody. The money is used for conservation and other projects that benefit hunters and anglers, and the tax in its current form was enacted with the wholehearted support of hunting and fishing organizations. The "underground" types who cheat on the tax aren't cheating the government, they're cheating hunters and anglers. They're also making it difficult for honest craftsmen to earn a living in the industry. They're a bunch of lowlifes as far as I'm concerned.

The federal excise tax on hunting and fishing goods doesn't "target" anybody. The money is used for conservation and other projects that benefit hunters and anglers, and the tax in its current form was enacted with the wholehearted support of hunting and fishing organizations. The "underground" types who cheat on the tax aren't cheating the government, they're cheating hunters and anglers. They're also making it difficult for honest craftsmen to earn a living in the industry. They're a bunch of lowlifes as far as I'm concerned.

Gracious. Inadvertently struck a nerve I guess.

I'm from the govt and I'm here to help. I'd be curious to see if the money is actually used for that. Besides, isn't that what hunting and fishing licenses are for? So if you're a manufacturer you get double dipped.

Jax... a bit of background about that excise tax that most of us pay as manufacturers (some manufacturer -since I'm just a commercial tyer...). Every penny goes back to the states under the Wallop-Breaux law or program and it's earmarked for all the things that states do in the way of fisheries improvement, stock preservation, even things like boat ramps and on the water law enforcement (since you're in Florida, like me, it's a major funding source for the FWC...). To divide up the funds they go by the number of licensed anglers in each state (that's one of the reasons for all that fish to be licensed...). So, as much as I chafe when charging the tax, then writing that check quarterly, it's actually being used for what it was intended for. Every item of sporting gear from arrows all the way to rods and reels has that tax included in its final price. That 10% amounts to lots of money and all of us are paying it...

Sherri, one of the guys her in the forum is also starting a site to sell flies on, you can search it, not sure just what the thread is called tho.

Blane

I don't have much to add than what has already been said. I'm sorry to hear about the seizures. Besides what other problems I have, I also have epilepsy. I know all too well what you're going through. Seizures are no fun. I started having seizures out of nowhere in 2009. My family hates seeing me have a tonic-clonic (grand mal) seizure because they are very scary.

So if you don't mind my asking, what did they do for you? My doc is saying I should be on disability and no driving. I don't want to do that. Would rather work

Interesting. Never knew there was something that specifically targeted the fishing industry. Gotta love the .gov!

The proceeds of the excise tax on MANUFACTURERS of such sporting goods goes to fund fishery protection programs..............

Gracious. Inadvertently struck a nerve I guess.

I'm from the govt and I'm here to help. I'd be curious to see if the money is actually used for that. Besides, isn't that what hunting and fishing licenses are for? So if you're a manufacturer you get double dipped.

Jax: The Federal Government is separate from your State Government. Not alll taxes and fees go to the Federal Government. Your state license fees go to your State Government for the activities they do at conservation/enforcement. The Excise Tax discussed goes to the Federal Government and is used for their conservation efforts............