Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TheKidWhoCatches

General Tips

Hi, I've been fly tying/fishing for about 3/4 of a year now and even though my flies look okay I can't seem to catch anything on them at all! I just wondered if there's anything that I could do to catch more fish on my flies.

Thanks

P.S Pictures of caught fish and flies, are welcome! :)

you might want to give us some more specific info such as what your tying where your fishing what your fishing for I mean with your question the way it is "I would say stop using musky flies to catch bluegills in Antarctica" and that would be an acceptable answer

I agree, we need a little more information on what your fishing for, and where. Stream, or lake, trout, brim, pike, bass, where and what would help us help you. Then it would be a big help if we could see some of your flies. With information on what fish you think they should be working on.

I'll second what Rockworm said. Most flies will catch some fish, no matter how how they look. I'm living proof of that. If your flies look halfway buggy, I'd venture to say it might be your presentation. Are you slapping the fly or the fly line down hard on the water? Are you putting the fly where the fish are? Could be a lot of things, but some more info, as mentioned, would help quite a bit.

I was like you when I started. I could tie flys that looked good but wasnt catching anything. It wasnt the fly, you need to learn to fish the fly too. My flys look pretty much the same as they did then, now I dont have much problem catching fish.

With that said, if we knew what you are tying and what you are fishing for we could help you better.

I was like you when I started. I could tie flys that looked good but wasnt catching anything. It wasnt the fly, you need to learn to fish the fly too. My flys look pretty much the same as they did then, now I dont have much problem catching fish.

With that said, if we knew what you are tying and what you are fishing for we could help you better.

Okay I'm mainly fishing for UK species like Carp,Roach,Bream,Perch. The flies I am tying are mainly wet flies but as I am new to this, you may need to give some quite basic explanations. :(

Will try to upload some pics of tied flies when camera charges. :(

Also, Any tips on how to make a good dry fly would be much appreciated! :D

Rockworm has a point. I've got to ask though, with a handle like TheKidWhoCatches, I'd imagine you must be catching fish on something? If not your flies, then whose flies? If you're catching fish on store bought flies, start by tying what you're buying and that is working already before venturing off in to creating your own patterns. Just a thought.

Kirk

If nothing else, you should learn to tie a woolly bugger and keep on fishing and experimenting with it until you start getting results. There's no game fish anywhere that won't hit a woolly bugger if it's fished in a way that imitates the local forage. You should also post some pictures of your flies. Those of us who have a fair amount of experience may not have all the answers, but we know a lot of things that DON'T work. Eliminating those things will put you ahead of the game.

Rockworm has a point. I've got to ask though, with a handle like TheKidWhoCatches, I'd imagine you must be catching fish on something? If not your flies, then whose flies? If you're catching fish on store bought flies, start by tying what you're buying and that is working already before venturing off in to creating your own patterns. Just a thought.

Kirk

When the conditions are too difficult for me to cast into I usually coarse fish with bait.

That's when I catch fish :D

As a fellow UK angler I'd have to say that most of the time our weather means fly fishing is not going to be the best method. By best I mean sure way to catch a fish. Most of our species I'm sure you know are sniffing out the bait when we coarse fish. Maggot worm bread pellet all leave a scent trail and wiggly things attract through the vibration they make as well. In murky water I would just not bother fly fishing. If I'd driven a long way to fish and only had fly gear I'd try pike fishing with something creating a big wake.

If you have access to water where you can see the fish, then they can see your fly. Fish fine, 7x tippets on a 5weight rod should land most if you are careful and don't have snags. Fish with a PTN or a gold hares ear and all the species you mention will take. Tench are good fly takers and you just have to think low and slow. Most coarse fish wont be chasing a fly down like predatory perch pike or trout will. Look at the hot spot shrimp patterns cause they will help you see the fly down and often you can watch the fish suck it in.

All dry patterns will take carp, rudd, roach and even tench in the height of summer. For the UK coarse fish I feel that fly fishing is an enjoyable day out but you'll never fill a net with your catch. Its horses for courses.

I have no first hand knowledge, but this link shows what appears to be a "fly caught" bream from the UK. Bream on fly. The fly is nothing more than a large red thread midge larva. Some reading on the bream reveals that they are commonly fished for with bait, and among their favoite food items are midge larvae.

Tie up some thread midges in a few different colors, and fish them like you would fish the bream with maggots.

...When the conditions are too difficult for me to cast into I usually coarse fish with bait.

That's when I catch fish :D [/font][/size]

Nothing wrong with that. Looks like Piker has some good advice from good experience.

Kirk