Fly Tying
Johnwvan

Whip Finishers

I have tried using a whip finisher but just can't seem to get it. I have several in my tying kit and never have been able to manage it. I use my fingers even on size 24 hooks. Haven't tried anything smaller.

I guess I'm lucky. I won't be 67 for another day. tongue.gif

I'm near sighted. I can't see across the room without glasses, but I can read the fine print at the bottom of a credit card offer....

When I was tying a lot, back in my commercial tying days, I could whip finish faster with my fingers than picking up the tool. Even did some contests a few times with other tiers who only used a tool, just for fun. Sometimes I was faster, sometimes not. However, only faster with heavier thread & larger flies. On small flies with 6/0 thread I have to use a needle to pull the thread tight, otherwise it would twist, so that slows me down slightly.

My eyes are not great either, fortunately I'm near sighted, so can still see up close, even down to about a size 18, although since I stopped commercial tying several years ago, I rarely tie smaller than a size 8 so really still have little use for a whip finish tool.

I guess it's what you get used to doing.

Margaretann, I never could use the darn things either! <_<

Can't get the hang of them either. Keep coming back to them but I'm quicker with my digits so keep giving up before I crack it.

I use the best damn whip finish tool ever devised and its also the original. And you can even use for all sorts of things like hailing the tools. The matarelli is more costly because he puts a notch in the bottom to cut the thread. Now isnt that worth that extra bit. :rolleyes:

I just watched a video on You Tube. It was almost full screen so I could see

it good. It was a Thompson whip finisher, one I could never master, and I just

made 4 whip finishes, not in Olympic fashion but they worked! Now if I can remember

tomorrow how I did it maybe I won't need that Martarelli style Griffin whip finisher

I ordered 3 days ago.---John

The tools are ok, but as with any tool it is less precise than using your fingers. The reason is simple when picking up a tool the nerves in the skin of your fingers don't suddenly extend to the end of the tool. With any tool you loose the feeling of what is going on. For that reason I tie with a minimum of tools. Also who hasn't dropped their whip finish tool on the floor? Or lost it on the bench amongst all the materials?

As I tie a lot of parachute flies, with the whip finish around the wing post under the hackle, I have taught myself to do a horizontal whip finish by turning my wrist. It saves the repositioning of the hook in the vice. I would love to see this done with a tool. This technique alone has saved me many many hours.

For the smallest of flies you can use one finger to form the whip finish. With fine threads try removing the twist before starting the whip finish. Your whip finish will be tighter if you do. If you tighten down on twisted thread the thread will untwist when you trim it off, leaving it loose.

If you find you have rough skin on your fingers you can get hand cream for less than the cost of a whip finisher, and it will do more! Performing a whip finish isn't the only time you touch the thread. A whip finisher will only protect your thread from rough skin when making a whip finish. Sorting your hands out will protect your thread all the time.

The whip finish tool doesn't seem to offer any advantages.

It's slower (no one ever includes the time spent looking for it or picking it up off the floor)

It can get lost.

It offers less feel, and, therefore, less control.

It isn't as versatile.

It's expensive.

Why bother? Wait one! I think I know why they are used. Learning to whip finish with your fingers takes a little more effort.

Cheers,

C.

I disagree on most of your points. A Materelli gives MORE control (for me) than using my fingers. It's faster than using fingers. Versatile? Depends. Get lost? So can your bobbin. A one-finger whip is messy and for large flies, not for small ones...or it's slow on small flies because the head is so small. I tie parachutes with a whip finisher and my fingers without repositioning the fly in the vise.

I use both my fingers and a Materelli, and I'm only releating my experience. Yours may differ, and apparently does, considerably. :)

What is so difficult about horizontally whipping around the parachute with a tool? I do it all the time. I agree that the hand whip finish is something all tyers should learn, but I also think the tools offer a lot of advantages at very little cost.

I have fat fingers, and in the dry winters my hands crack and

bleed plus the thread gets caught in my cuts. I will learn the

Thompson I have and the Griffin on the way. Leave my fingers

for grasping the tools.---John