Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

So was Santa good to you guys this year?

i got a crap load of gifts but the only fishing related gifts I got were "The fly tying bible" and a calender "Flyfishing photographed by denver bryan".

I got a fair bit of camping supplies (water purification tabs and other stuff).

I will probably buy myself a few flytying supplies with the money I got and hopefully still have a little left over.

Hope everyone elses Xmas was as good as mine.

oh lets see

rod dryer

chest pack from cabelas

c&f water proof box

plunge router

carbide tipped bits

plenty of flanels i'll be warm fishing this jan

neat little survival knife

lefty kreh's fly fishing salt water

and a few other things

also used the money i got to buy the guides and reel seat for my bamboo project

Santa brought the kids and the other half lots of outdoors stuff. Santa brought me a fly tying materials maker, otherwise known as a marlin .22. wink.gif headbang.gif

Candy! If candy were flies I wouldn't have to tie another 'till my teeth fell out! Reckon the girls in the house thought I wasn't sweet enough!

Across the street in the neighbors garage I saw a big 'ol Craftman rolling tool chest I just KNEW my bride was keeping there until the big day. I'm still waiting for the big day!

I did have a 6' 6" bamboo rod delivered from a friend to try... so fresh that the varnish is still tacky. I'm really getting fond of that little wand and now need to figure a way to make it a present!

I got yet another Dremel accesory kit and some cologne which I'll have to swap for somethings more useful, like fly lines!

Other than that it was a fine Christmas but I missed my Michigan family sorely!

My favorite Santa's Little Helper (Stef) really outdid herself!!! (With the help of our friend John Shewey)

Let's see:

-18 turkey tails

-Two Golden Pheasant Tails (very long!)

-4 patches of Golden Pheasant tippet feathers

-2 patches of Golden Pheasant Crest

-A selection of primo saddle hackle (red, claret, black, highlander green, kingfisher blue, orange, and yellow)

-Angora dubbing to match the saddles

-Lagartun silk spools, also to match

-2 dozen Jungle Cock nails

-a kingfisher skin

-10 spools assorted French Tinsel

-8 packs of 6 each paired turkey feathers for married wings (to match the saddles, plus white)

-very genorous packs of matched flank feathers from:

-Green wing teal, pintail, bronze mallard, and two packs of barred Wood Duck!)

-a pack of Partridge Bartleet blind eye hooks(3/0)

-a pack of harrison Bartleet blind eye (4/0)

-a pack of pre-twisted silkworm gut

I was amazed at all this stuff! I guess I've got a lot of new techniques and patterns to learn now. Any book suggestions?

MY SWEETIE IS AWESOME!!!!!

i bought some angora dubbing around turkey day and really love the stuff. alot easier to dub with than the hares ear blends and looks buggy too.

Fishing related I received a Peak Vise, a book called Fishing Camps (It has a nice section on the great Adirondack Camps of NY). And I also picked up two of the Fly Tyers Dungeon's Christmas packs, I gave one away to a fellow tyer and the other was a gift to myself. (I must say I was really impressed with the material in the gift pack, as I was pulling out the packages I was beginning to wonder if there was a bottom to the box bugeyes.gif )

Now the problem....I also received a recliner chair for the living room....If I can only get myself out of it and my nose out of the new book, I can try out the new vise and materials! biggrin.gif

Tom

We had a pretty darn good Christmas, due to a tight budget and trying to put money into opening our fly shop(merry christmas to me! biggrin.gif ) my wife and I didn't exchange too much under the tree this year it was mostly stuff for my little girl. smile.gif

I did get some other very cool stuff from the rest of the family though!

Cabela's Polar weight PolarTech power dry underwear. Awesome stuff! already broke it in for muzzle loader deer this week. Should work great in my waders for steelhead fishing!

A nice matted unframed print of a rainbow taking a mayfly.

A fly reel tape measure that actually has a cool little drag built into it.

$100 that will probably be either put into the shop or a new vest for steelhead.

And three non fishing movies:

Blade II

Underworld

Van Helsing

No pretty woman though. crying.gif wink.gif

Got a Made2Fly tying desk some bobbins, clothes and new Craftsman tool chest for the garage. Odds and ends for cold weather fishing and a bottle of Bookers Bourbon tongue.gif

Santa brought me some clothes, a leatherman and these little gems:

user posted image

A set of 2 with a small case, perfect for a vest pocket, $20. Thats a #8 stonefly BTW. Craftsman.

On Monday, I took a gift cert and my Cabela's bucks shopping! Scored a 5pc Stowaway 3wt, C1 cimmarron, a new vest, Cherry C&R net, C&F midge box, another layer of fleece and some do-dads. banana.gif

I got a new 6wt, snow blower and a tying kit from Santa. That was the good stuff, the problem is that he also left me a $3,000 bill for replacing my sewer and the need to get a new car since I discovered that rear wheel drive sucks in Michigan. Oh well. huh.gif

QUOTE (Graham @ Dec 26 2004, 06:04 PM)
I had a great Christmas, my parents drove down from Washington state, my Mom painted me a picture sort of copied from a photo from my Chile trip.

user posted image

My wife got me a new Dell computer, 1 gig ram, 250 gig hard drive, flat screen. Still havent set it up yet, cant wait to play around with Photoshop.

That's one special painting Graham. Very nice job!

And a new Dell. Damn. Ya'll cleaned up this year. Guess we were all good little fly tiers!

smile.gif

QUOTE (nightfish @ Dec 27 2004, 06:35 PM)
My favorite Santa's Little Helper (Stef) really outdid herself!!! (With the help of our friend John Shewey)

Let's see:
-18 turkey tails
-Two Golden Pheasant Tails (very long!)
-4 patches of Golden Pheasant tippet feathers
-2 patches of Golden Pheasant Crest
-A selection of primo saddle hackle (red, claret, black, highlander green, kingfisher blue, orange, and yellow)
-Lagartun silk spools, also to match
-2 dozen Jungle Cock nails
-a kingfisher skin
-10 spools assorted French Tinsel
-8 packs of 6 each paired turkey feathers for married wings (to match the saddles, plus white)
-very genorous packs of matched flank feathers from:
-Green wing teal, pintail, bronze mallard, and two packs of barred Wood Duck!)
-a pack of Partridge Bartleet blind eye hooks(3/0)
-a pack of harrison Bartleet blind eye (4/0)
-a pack of pre-twisted silkworm gut

I was amazed at all this stuff! I guess I've got a lot of new techniques and patterns to learn now. Any book suggestions?

MY SWEETIE IS AWESOME!!!!!

Dude,

That's awesome!