Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fdfretes

Trick Casting - Shadow Cast

soooo... how can I just do this for the rest of my life?

That second cast is just like me trying to throw weed off my fly. :ph34r: Shadow casting I'll call it from now on.

" shadow cast "??? that looks like the "terrify every fish in the hole cast" to me. Nice jacket on the guy too, BTW. :blink:

" shadow cast "??? that looks like the "terrify every fish in the hole cast" to me. Nice jacket on the guy too, BTW. :blink:

Yeah thats some well dressed fly fishing for sure :lol:

I think I recognize that guy from the old 20 Mule Team Borax commercials. He developed that stroke from bull-whipping the hell out mules out in Death Valley. ;)

Hmmmmm! Interesting; but, he never did write his name in the air with the line as Lew Chandler could do; and, Chandler could cast an entire fly line with just his hand---no rod involved. It is fascinating to see what all Gary Borger can do with just the tip section of a fly rod in a classroom with 8ft ceilings; and, he claims that his son Jason is a far superior caster to him!

Cheers!

A rising and hooking or fading cast is one of my favorite tools. The rising loop gives the leader and line the opportunity to float down to the surface with some great slack. I get off the negative, or fade, much like SC's illustration and cast the positive or hooking cast by keeping the back cast and forward cast low and powerful aiming up through the forward stroke. I don't know about all of this shadow casting stuff for the movies, but if you fish moving water it is a valuable one to know. Couple it with a reach right or left and you got something. In both cases the cast will be a good one when you are fighting a wind since your presentation stroke is low to the water. I don't think any of this shadow stuff is valuable on stillwater but it wouldn't be the first time I stuck my foot in the mouth to give an opinion.

btw...I liked "The Movie" and I can dig the sarcasm in the YouTube. YMMV.