Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
switch10

Custom fly rod hand wrapper that I built...

Let me start by saying that I have never built a rod before, so I wasn't exactly sure what I would need in a wrapper. For now, I plan on keeping it simple, and if need be, I can add things after I build my first rod.

The base is ash, which I routed out so I can adjust the arms/thread guide, which are made out of pine. Tension is kept on the thread with a spring between the thread spool, and a washer and nut. I also plan on adding some felt to the V's on the arm so the rod doesn't get scratched when I'm wrapping..

I totally guessed on dimensions, but this seems like it should work..

I know there are a few rod builders here, and I was wondering if anyone foresee's any issues with this design...

2012-11-13_14-56-34_207.jpg

Considering I started wrapping rods by placing the blank between to kitchen chairs. Your light years ahead of how I started.

I eventually stripped a sewing machine motor, along with with the fly wheel and control pedal from an Old Singer sewing machine. Then created my stands and I was on my way.

If your just building fly rods which are for the most part, just a single wrap of A or even C thread. What you have there will do the job nicely. Now find yourself an old barbacue rotissere motor to use for your drier and your golden.

Looks pretty good. Two things you may want to consider though.

1- You you need to put some sort of guide for the thread low and on the inside portion (side that faces you) so that the thread will come from the front of the wrapper and go up to the blank. That way when you spin the rod by hand you are spinning it in a natural motion away from you. As you have it now the thread looks like it comes right off the spool and goes directly to the blank which means you would need to spin it towards you which will not be comfortable, plus make it hard to do any locking wraps properly. The guide needs to be mounted on the thread carriage itself so that it moves with the carriage. If you need a picture to see what I mean let me know and I will show you on mine.

2- Hard to tell from the photo since it's a close up, but you may want to take a few inches off the height of the V block uprights unless your table you plan to use is really low. Looks a bit tall so you might find it more comfortable to rest your forearms on the table edge like most people do and might be hard to do that with the tall uprights. You'll have to try it out and see though.

Steve

Steeldrifter...

By and large, your first comment is a very good one, with one exception, I do not know that it has ever been stated, based on definitive studies, that rotating away from you is the "natural" direction. Though I do not build 'commercially', I have made my fair share of rods over the years and have used both directions of rotation, both with the same relative degree of ease. Thus, a better statement might be to point out the differences and suggest that the individual try both, and use that which best suits them.

There are many of us out there who are 'oddballs'; I cannot play golf because I am cross-handed! I seriously doubt that I am the only one with a similar 'affliction'!

Cheers!

Frank

Hi Frank,

It's not just that it is "natural" (although for most builders I would say it is) but also that you are having to do things backwards if you spin the rod away from you. Case in point, you do your wrap and then get to where your putting you're pull through loop in and then do your 4-5 wraps over it. When your pulling your tag end through after cutting, it is just much easier to use your thumb to hold the wrap in place and then pull the tag end "towards you" when you're locking the wrap down. Not saying it "can't" be done the other way, but just that for 9 out of 10 people it is a much easier/more natural movement to spin the rod away from them and then pull the tag end down/towards them.

Obviously there are no studies or anything on that (not needed) and nothing wrong with trying to do it the other way, but I think he will find what I am suggesting to be the easier way to do it.

Steve

Great! Thank you for the replies! It's exactly what I was looking for. Steve, what if I just spun the whole thing around, and wrapped with the thread closest to me? Do you think that will work?

I was hoping I didn't make the arms too tall... That's an easy fix anyway. What height would be considered standard? Just as long as I can comfortably rest my forearms on the bench while wrapping?

Is that a lefty or righty thing Steve? I am on hold at work and reading this. I have got to leave work and see which I do. I think it turn towards me when I wrap. I was switched lefty to righty as a child.

There are many of us out there who are 'oddballs'; I cannot play golf because I am cross-handed! I seriously doubt that I am the only one with a similar 'affliction'!

Cheers!

Frank

Frank,

I read all your post with interest ... and I have to respond to this statement. I am not sure you are and oddball just because you're cross-handed ... I am SURE there are many other reasons !!!

wink.gif

what if I just spun the whole thing around, and wrapped with the thread closest to me? Do you think that will work?

If you mean having the thread spools between you and the blank, they'll get in the way. Just figure out what you need to have the thread feed onto the blank how you would like it and keep the spools out of the way of your hands as you work.

Steve...

Very simply, my point is that what may be the "easiest way" for you, or for me for that matter, may NOT be the easiest way for someone else; as well as to point out that it has been 'done', is being 'done', and can be 'done' both ways. One should never foreclose on an option, regardless of whether or not it is 'normal' or more convenient for that individual. This is definitely a "one shoe does not fit all" situation. Nothing more; nothing less.

Cheers!

Frank

From one old goat to another ... break given. Your cross-handedness is the only thing that makes you an oddball.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gifblink.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

I tried to say that with a straight face, really I did!