Fly Tying
Fred H.

Heros in a half shell

I was fishing City Park years ago and a bass came up and ate a little turtle right in front of me! Nice job! Hate to see what you do when you retire!

Kirk

Very neat. How did you make the head on the green one on the left. It looks like a real head. Also, how did you attach the hook to the shell?

Dave

Very neat. How did you make the head on the green one on the left. It looks like a real head. Also, how did you attach the hook to the shell?

Dave

Thanks gpd4 .

Dave, The head was done the same on all of them. I use two pieces of 40lb mono for the neck and head . Then a piece of 17lb on each side of the face and head to give it width. The thread wraps make it cylinrical . The shells are tied in from the bottom thru slots cut into the sides in a figure "8"post-11886-0-58172400-1356991989_thumb.jpgpost-11886-0-44337100-1356992000_thumb.jpg

These are simply amazing to me. I am guessing that the shells are from the little fresh water mussels that I see scattered everywhere after the Canada geese have had their way with them. Take Care, Tony

Very cool Fred. I can't tell if those are crustacean shells or pistachio shells, but either way they look great. The shape and color of the shells look like they would make great shell backs on sand flea flies as well

haha, it looks like you answered as I was typing, thanks for clarifying what type of shells they were