Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jdecoudres

orvis helios 2

The original Helios had great reviews. I would look to pick up a cheap first version. How much can the lightest ever rod have improved just with a number 2 stuck on?

A little shameless promotion.. http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1680442789001?bckey=AQ~~,AAABhuSoclE~,kvzoL-4qOJecqkr91BX7L9zzCgMoiF9a&bclid=0&bctid=1978061865001

Im the first person in the video to give my review to Orvis.

As far as how I felt about it.. well I thought it was awesome. I casted quite well with it and it seemed like a rod I could use all day. With that being said though, its out of my price range for rods at this point. I love my custom rod from midwest custom rod and it was probably a tenth of the cost of a helios 2

I have the ZG Helios and love it. I have fished with the Helios 2 and it's a great rod. They're both rods that a person could fish with all day and not get tired. I wouldn't go to say the Helios 2 is necessarily a better rod just because its different for each person. There is a little bit of a difference in the casting between the rods but it's only something you notice for the first couple casts. Both rods put the line out where you want it and are a lot of fun to fish with. I casted Sage, Scott, and G Loomis rods before I got my Helios; they're all great rods but for me the Helios just felt better in the hand and casted better than the others. You cant go wrong with the Helios or Helios 2. Hope this helps.

Helios is a great rod it is just very expensive. You can have a custom rod made built to your specs much cheaper and have a much prettier rod to boot. I will have all my rods custom built from hereon.

The only thing I know about Helios rods is ... online, there's a beautiful girl, in a bikini, on a surf board casting one in a video. She never catches a fish, but she sure looks good casting that fly rod.

I just watched it again .... it's a Hobie stand-up paddle board. The camera is mounted on the board and it's fun watching her cast.

I have a Helios for one season now...It to me is by far the best fly rod ever to be in my hands. I have fished sage...reddington...sci angler...st croix...just to name a few. I've tried the Helios 2 at my local shop just to see for myself. IMO....I thought it was the same rod with only two differences, 1. It's blue and has the number 2 on it. 2. It DID FEEL STIFFER to me when i threw a few clousers in the parking lot...but I STILL LOVE MY HELIOS!....

I just watched it again .... it's a Hobie stand-up paddle board. The camera is mounted on the board and it's fun watching her cast.

Fun watching her chest? Mike really.... Oh cast, her cast... Oh ok let you off.

My wife gave me one for Christmas. An extravagant present to be sure. Here's a review.

1. It is VERY light. I have several other rods in the same weight (8wt) by noted manufacturers and this is by far the lightest. It is even lighter than some of my 3wt rods, and about the same as the TFO 3wt. This means that you have to balance it with the right reel, which is often a matter of choice. I actually found an old Orvis Green Mountain felt the best to me.

2. It is VERY fast. This rod will be much to fast for some casters. Even the tip flex is on the stiff side.

3. If you can handle the stiffness, you can cast it a long way. I overlined it with 9wt WF (not a shooting head) and managed 70-80 feet using a kite-ish size 2 Gurgler without much effort. But, once again, because it is so fast, it is the caster, not the rod, doing all the work.

4. Part of the price is probably for the rod case, which is very stylish trout logoed fiberglass screw top.

5. I assume it comes with a lifetime warranty, and hope I never have to confirm this.

The bottom line is that you should not but this rod online. Go to an Orvis dealer and ask them to cast it. If they won't let you try it out, don't buy it. There's not going to be much grey area, you'll like it or not. And, of course, there is the considerable price.

The only thing I know about Helios rods is ... online, there's a beautiful girl, in a bikini, on a surf board casting one in a video. She never catches a fish, but she sure looks good casting that fly rod.

Here are my observations about the rod and the girl....:

1) both are a little bit too skinny for me, and

2) no way I could afford either one!!!

I bought the access. Same rod blanks as the Helios and half the price. Plus can't beat 25 yrs replaced no questions on any of their rods.

Here are my observations about the rod and the girl....:

1) both are a little bit too skinny for me, and

2) no way I could afford either one!!!

Caught me off guard with that. I hope there's no one in the next room, or they'll think I am crazy ... laughing at "You know you tie too much" and this. Oh yeah ... I'll agree with the second point, But that's why we have eyes. To evaluate such things!