Fly Tying
Sur3-Shot

i own 2 vises silver one barly works

They were both cheap i needed to tie. Ill never be good enough for commmercial tying so why have expensive vises.

post-46620-0-05487200-1359625007_thumb.jpg

You definately dont need to spend fortunes on a vice to tie good flies. I used a cheap vice for years until its jaws gave up. I did splash some cash on a good replacement because I wanted to buy one vice that will out last me I hope. I also wanted the true rotary function which my previous vice didn't have.

I have a silver one simlar to the one you do. It is a cheapy that was given to me. I also currently am tying on a Regal. The Regal has midge jaws so big stuff like salmonfly hooks above size 6 won't fit. The Regal is an awesome vise for the dry flies nymphs and midges I tie, but the Sunrise does its job and does it well when I feel like tying big size 2 or bigger bass flies, and also when I occasionally take a stab at the classic salmonfly. The sunrise has a lot of adjustment to it and can hold big hooks and smaller hooks, but the jaws just arent fine enough for adding tails to small dries and tying midges.

I use the Regal when I can but the sunrise has never failed me and is a fine vise. If you ever want an inexspensive but higher quality rotary vise, the Griffin Odyssey Spider Vise is great for the money (around $80) and I know several experienced tyers who swear by the danvise.

When I was a kid I used hemostats to hold my flies and basically tied one handed. Years later when I got back into it I bought a cheapie Thompson knock-off which I soon replaced with a Danvise. I later donated the Danvise to Project Healing Waters and replaced that with a HMH. And then I added a Nor-vise. I tied on the Danvise for maybe 5 years though and really regretted letting it go, except that I knew it went to a good cause. It is a lot of vise for the price and should be well within reach of most any budget.

Tie on what you have now (because in the end all they need to do is hold a hook). Then pinch your pennies and get the one you really want. I usually push the cheap vises on beginners only because not a lot of people stay with the hobby.

Sur3-shot, what do you mean by saying that the silver one barely works? If the jaws don't grip hooks with enough tension to keep them from slipping, you can loosen or tighten the hold that the jaws have simply by turning the head of the vise one way or the other.

My e-mail address is [email protected]. Send me your address. I got an old Thomson with a C-clamp You can have. Seriously. But you have to promise not to skip out of school to tie.

ok? I also have some old beginner fly tying books I haven't looked at for decades. You can have them too. Stay in school , don't get discoraged, read books and watch vidios on tying.

The internet is an awsome tool for learning. I didn't have the internet when I started. You will get better with practice. We all did. No body starts out a professional.

My first vise was an exacto knife handle screwed to a pizza-hut pan-pizza pan. Now I have 12. Some cheap, and some are not cheap. I think I can spare one.