Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FishBoone

How to tie a Crayfish

There was a good article on these in the latest "Fly Tyer" magazine as well if you have one of thise available. Had a couple different patterns if I remember right.

Here's one I like, about as simple as you can get. Change the colors to fit your local crayfish.

http://nqflyfishers.com/squimp.html

BTW, it's a saltwater pattern, but works as well as a Crayfish. I tie & use several different saltwater patterns as crayfish.

Crazy Charlies, Gotcha's, Squimp's, Borski's Slider, etc.

I don't have a step by step, but these are my favorite two craws. On the right is the fly I call my "Notta Bugger", 'cause it's kinda like a wooly Bugger, but it's not a bugger. It's one marabou feather, tied in and wrapped, with a bit of Copper Krystal Flash tied in. You can also tie it weighted. This fly in brown is a killer Smallmouth catcher! I use it in White and in Olive also.

On the left is an idea to capitalize upon the attractiveness of the claws. I placed a strip of weighting wire beneath the hook in the hopes of getting it ride point up. aside from that it's just shaggy dubbing with a pair of hen feathers tied in so that they would point a little left, a little right, and some rainbow flashabou tied in where the antenna would go. I tie this in Olive, rusty red, Olive brown, and pale grey.

Both are tied on size 10 streamer hooks. I know many tyers/fishers prefer a much larger craw, but I do catch big fish, and my screen name gives away my primary focus. :)

post-63-0-82490600-1361639030_thumb.jpg

luvinbluegills......nice little simple patterns and I prefer simple and EZ ties. Thanks for posting. If you have not tried a pattern called Blind Squirrel you should. Panfish love it and I believe that they take it as a dad and as a nymph. It is simple too but not quite as simple as simple as the two you just posted. Smallmouth like it and carp are supposed to like it as well. Actually it seems to catch everything.

Size 12 mini craw pattern I made up a few years ago. This is simple as it gets plus the hook is riding up and is a 10-15min tie.

It outfishes bigger sized crawfish patterns and is a dandy on carp.

post-35846-0-49436700-1361707406_thumb.jpg