Fly Tying
Piker20

Problem with UTC 70

I dont normally use UTC thread and I am having a problem tying off neatly. I un-spin the thread flat but that doesn't help, when a 5 turn whip finish is applied the thread leaves a little lump at the trimmed point rather than neatly tightening into itself as my Benecchi and Shear appear to. Not sure the fish will mind but the camera really emphasises it.

i usually whip finish with each wrap laying next to each other instead of ontop of each other, looks nicer to me

So you make a series of hitches or you move each wrap down a little, when you pull tight how do you stop it rucking up.

DOH! Its because its not 70. Its 240. I had the wrong spool on. Ah well, at least its not me....oh wait yes it is me. Nevermind.

Yeah I don't know what I was playing at. It looked out of place on the size 6. Need to stop tying with the light off!

hahaha, don't even have that excuse unfortunately. Just a dumb ass moment. At least I solved my tying off prob.

DOH! Its because its not 70. Its 240. I had the wrong spool on. Ah well, at least its not me....oh wait yes it is me. Nevermind.

LOL, that's something I might do!

At least you figured it out quickly. Something like that would stump me for days if I was tying regularly and weeks if I had taken some time off.

hahaha, don't even have that excuse unfortunately. Just a dumb ass moment. At least I solved my tying off prob.

I don't either, but you'd think differently if you saw what I did last night. I tied up a new Silhouette, finished off the head, looked at it and was amazed at how much body I got from a couple of hackle feathers; nice and full. I pulled it off of the vice and noticed half of the tail feathers were missing. I know I tied them on because I removed them and re-tied them to better position them. Where did they go? What's going on? Evidently, as I made the first body wrap I inadvertently caught the tail feathers and wrapped them into the body. I did notice a couple of tips running shorter than the rest and thought it was odd since the feathers were all the same length when I started.

I am glad other people do stupid stuff to that way I don't feel like the only one. I have a habit of sticking my bodkin behind my ear like you would a pencil when I am tying split thread flies but never fails I search for the damn thing every fly all my wife can do is laugh at me