Fly Tying
i_love_rush_and_ledzepp

Who here likes the "Brassie"

no once it is threaded on the hook take a couple wraps of lead free wire around the hook shank right behind the bead and jam it up inside the bead it will hold it on then tie your fly

Ok, Any other good Brassie pics?

Ok, Any other good Brassie pics?

i found these doing a GOOGLE search

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1G1TSNACENUS400&q=brassie%20fly%20pattern&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=PGtRUdWQIsn9rAfs5YHICA&biw=1250&bih=630&sei=P2tRUcv6FMvQrQeniYCYDw

no need for lead wire either. lead wire is BASICALLY used for additional weight

the original "southe platte brassie" had black heat shrink tubing for the head

the dubbing will hold the bead on one side and the eye of the hook on the other

remember the bead has 2 different sized holes. thread the small hole onto the hook point first and it will sit against the eye of the hook

here is how i tie them

http://www.danica.com/flytier/nfrechette/brassie.htm

http://www.danica.com/flytier/nfrechette/white_winged_brassie.htm

You might find craft beads that can be used on flies, but for bead heads, you need to buy fly tying beads. Craft beads are generally one diameter hole, going all the way through. Bead head beads are recessed with a smaller on one end and a larger diameter at the other.

This allows for just clearing the barb, making the turn in the hook and then sliding up against the hook eye. I bought some glass beads I thought would work, but they don't allow for the radius of the hook bend ... I can't use them.

I bought some glass beads I thought would work, but they don't allow for the radius of the hook bend ... I can't use them.

that is not always the problem of the bead. it may be the hook bend that doesnt allow the bead to around the bend. just try the next size bead

craft seed beads are perfectly acceptable for use on fly patterns. many fly patterns use them. they just dont add any weight

I bought some glass beads I thought would work, but they don't allow for the radius of the hook bend ... I can't use them.

that is not always the problem of the bead. it may be the hook bend that doesnt allow the bead to around the bend. just try the next size bead

craft seed beads are perfectly acceptable for use on fly patterns. many fly patterns use them. they just dont add any weight

i see :P

If you want a "brassie" with little less weight (for whatever reason), lay down a thread base of your color choice and then wrap over that with clear "stretchy jewelry cord" , available at most Dollar Stores.

WTH102_zpsb67c9698.jpg

Red and black thread base with clear cord and super glue overcoat

WTH100_zps92ecfcef.jpg

Just an easy way to get the color without the weight

Murray

Sorry, should have stated that differently. I don't have a problem tying them, they just don't seem to produce for me. Might be the very swift pocket water I usually fish?

Brassie was the first fly I tied also.

Using Cravens book are you?

I never intended to use these but after reading in "Caddisflies" that the copper body shimmers like the particles that make up some cased caddis larva I'm gonna give em a try.

post-46683-0-61436900-1365481248_thumb.jpg

Brassie was the first fly I tied also.

Using Cravens book are you?

I never intended to use these but after reading in "Caddisflies" that the copper body shimmers like the particles that make up some cased caddis larva I'm gonna give em a try.

I made two, And I used "Mustad 3399A size 10" hooks