Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fish For Life

How far can you cast

90% of freshwater fish are normally caught within 40ft with most in the 15-25ft distance, so accuracy is much more important than distance.

Agree 110%.

Casting length is not very important for Rocky Mountain trout fishing. I can cast a 5 wt about 65 or 75 ft but never have to. It's presentation that counts and usually never cast over 25 or 30 ft.

I would wonder why you are worried about casting distance. I cast my 5wt around 60-75 feet, but I catch 95% of my fish at around 30 -40 feet. Worry about accuracy and practice, distance will come with experience. smile.png

Yea no kidding. I was screwing around with my girlfriends 4 wt one time in the yard and after several false casts had probably 90% of the line out, backing was showing on the reel. I second the 95% of fish within 30 feet, this weekend I might as well been tenkara fishing I had so little line out. I think #1 is presentation, #2 accuracy, and lastly distance. An accurate cast to a rise that smacks down hard and spooks the fish is worse than a good presentation 2 feet off the mark.

With my 8 weight I can do 80-90 feet, but I almost never have to cast more than 50. I'll be getting my first 4 weight soon and I'll let you know what that's like.

if im trying to send it deep, it is almost guaranteed that my fly line will tangle at my feet or... i snag a bush

At the casting ponds in Golden Gate Park, I can usually cast the entire fly line (depending on the rod of course). Under

real world fishing conditions, I can almost always cast a foot or two short of what's needed.

60 Ft and under, i have yet to catch a Tarpon but from what i hear a 60 ft cast is imperative to catch one. You can catch redfish or rainbows with a 30-40 ft cast or less.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="atxdiscgolfer" data-cid="551087" data-time="1368299460"><p>

60 Ft and under, i have yet to catch a Tarpon but from what i hear a 60 ft cast is imperative to catch one. You can catch redfish or rainbows with a 30-40 ft cast or less.</p></blockquote>

A lot farther than is usually necessary, but not half as far as internet experts do on Fantasy Island.

Fantasy Island with a 40kn breeze in your face! ahahaha

Some of the most intense distance i have seen is with the baitball chasers, tuna for one know what the boat means so tend to swim away at 100ft exactly - it is like some game of cat and mouse, but if you are going to get a cast out at 100ft it has to be very quick, not very much false casting. Same can be said for flats and Permit etc, you are going to get a shot, just make it count and stop flicking the line around in the air, just send the fly to target and quickly right where you want and hang on.

I think you guys measure your casts with the same tape measure you use for your fish...

Hey Chub, never underestimate the skill level of an internet fly caster. Personally, I have to use two lines tied end-to-end because no one line can handle my full power when I'm heaving foot-long deceivers out beyond the breakers. I don't know where you came up with the thought that fishermen are prone to exaggeration.

Ill start with the good one:

My 10wt with a 10wt rio striper line intermediate line I can get about 100. Possibly a smidge more with a wulff TT 10wt floater on there. I will admit I've not measured this. I just know on a good cast in good conditions (low wind, with grass or rock or water behind me) I can be down to 1-2 wraps of running line on the reel.

My 6 and 8, both with wulff TT floaters, I can get 75-90 in ideal conditions - lawn casting, or boat/shore with no backcast hindrance and low wind.

My 4wt with a wulff TT floater 60-70. I'd like to say further, but honestly, I dont think is really true.

My 2wt ive never tried to bomb with it. It's for 5' wide streams, so I'd say the longest i've tossed with it is 20-25 feet. Not a real "personal record attempt" just the furthest I've needed to huck with it.

Don't sugar coat it, Peterjay ... just come right out and call the offenders, in your opinion, liars.