Fly Tying
lhommedieu

Sealex Dubbing?

Looking to tie some soft hackles for Eastern streams and some of the patterns that I have call for "Sealex 105, 110, and 117." I was able to find a website that sells these and am pretty sure that 105 is grey, 110 is brown, and 117 is red.

Anyone have any experience with these and would you advise/not advise a natural alternative? The patterns are from one of Nemes books with an appendix that features patterns for Eastern streams. The patterns are:

Dun Variant (Sealex #105)

Hendrickson (Sealex #110 mixed with #117)

I'm pretty sure that any fur or mixture within the color spectrum (2/3 brown and 1/3 red for Hendrickson, e.g.) for these patterns will be satisfactory; I am just wondering about the appeal of Sealex and whether to bother getting some...

Best,

Steve

I would chip in to say that for dry, emerger, upper layer flies I really cant see past seal fur. The natural translucency it offers helps with that emerging bursting insect look and you can wind it tight, loose, thick, sparse and still achieve a great look.

The other stuff I am using more and more is some dubbing made from leicester sheep wool (leicester is a breed type) It makes very tight bodies but keeps its individual strand look so you dont end up with a solid looking body.

Seal-Ex was a coarse synthetic marketed under Poul Jorgensen's name. It came out many years ago, and I wasn't aware that it may still be available. Rather coarse texture, which I find more suitable for larger flies,...such as stonefly nymphs and steelhead/salmon patterns. For a similar effect of shine and translucency, I'd look at Ice Dub today.

I've used it on Atlantic salmon flies as it is a substitute for seal. It is a little unruly to dub, but is generally teased out on the salmon flies, so it doesn't matter. I think the Ice Dub is a good idea.

Hi Steve,

SealEx was originally developed by Poul Jorgensen then he sold the formula to Rocky Mountain Dubbing in Lander, WY. They also tan a lot of deer, elk & moose hide for the fly-tying industry. You should find their phone number under "The Tannery - Rocky Mountain Dubbing" if you can't find the dubbing. They can direct you to a dealer of theirs near you OR we think Cabela's carry their products. Take care & ...

Al & Gretchen are correct...the link to the Rocky Mountain catalog is HERE:

http://www.rmdstore.com/2011_RMD_Cat_email.pdf

Angora Goat works well too, as a SEAL substitute. Wapsi has it on pg. # 22 of their catalog:

http://www.flipdocs.com/showbook.aspx?ID=10004505_820225

I use both for buggers and streamers and chop it up for small patterns...I get both from my local Fly Shop - Bob Marriott's...

PT/TB

sealex.jpg

SX101 Isonychia*, SX102 Brownish Black, SX103 Lt. Golden Brown*, SX104 Pale Amber, SX105 Pale Olive Gray*, SX106 Medium Olive*, SX107 Dk. Olive*, SX108 Pale Olive*, SX109 Olive Grown, SX110 Dk. Brown, SX111 Medium Brown*, SX112 Grass Green, SX113 Pale Green, SX114 Golden Amber*, SX115 Cream White, SX116 Buff*, SX117 Yellow Cream*, SX118 Black*, SX119 Yellow, SX120 Hot Orange, SX121 Light Orange, SX122 Red, SX123 Fiery Brown*, SX124 Highlander Green, SX125 Silver Doctor Blue, SX126 Claret, SX127 Gray

Here's my Seal-Ex collection. It's the original Poul Jorgensen stuff. Poul gave me the two flies you see in the picture on a visit he made to Denver in 1976. The flies are tied with seal-ex. I taped the flies to the first page of his book "Modern Fly Dressings for the Practical Angler".

I used to use the real McCoy, regular seal, but it was getting really expensive for what was a pinch of dubbing and switched to the synthetic. The anti-fur activists were also laying a guilt trip on us sportsmen and natural furs were losing popularity. The tubes you see are not labeled and I have no idea how to coordinate a color to any number. I never used it as straight dubbing, but mixed it with something a little finer to fit my needs. In most cases it took only a pinch from the tube and I could blend up a good sized batch. The dubbing is brilliant and the colors are good. What you see in the pic is a lifetime supply for me. Personally I like the stuff, but won't freak out if I use it all and have to find a substitute. I blend a medium olive and some gray nylon yarn that I have and it makes a super scud mix.

002-4.jpg