Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Spanky29ca

Creel bag

I'm taking part in a project to remove invasive brook trout this year for the government and am required to keep all the brook trout that I catch and log what I catch and where. They are using anglers to do this in many creeks in my area and I am looking for suggestions for a good creel bag. I'm usually a catch and release fisherman but decided to take part in this project to fish some different watersheds while helping the bull trout and native cutties get their natural habitat back. As I've never needed a creel bag I really don't know what to even look for. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful. Thank you

I rarely use one now but I have an airflo bass bag. Its quick drying and washes easily. The handles are comfi and the thing packs down easy. Just be sure, if you plan to eat them you stake your bag out of any sunny shallow margins and away from any otters!!

Arcticreel from Cabela's is what you want. It is the best. You wet it and evaporation keeps your fish cool. They also have the classic willow woven creels.

If its a waterproof bag you want then check out Snowbee. They are great and not as much as the articreel one.

I'm sorry...."invasive brook trout". Really? wacko.png I have never heard of that.blink.png Even if they were "invasive", what damage to the habitat could they possibly do? That's just the kind of "invasive" species we should all be lucky enough to have in my opinion. Someone please explain this to me.huh.png

I'm sorry...."invasive brook trout". Really? wacko.png I have never heard of that.blink.png Even if they were "invasive", what damage to the habitat could they possibly do? That's just the kind of "invasive" species we should all be lucky enough to have in my opinion. Someone please explain this to me.huh.png

Out west, brookies tend to overpopulate and successfully compete with native species for food, etc. - they're justifiably considered pests in a lot of waters. Species like bull trout and various cutthroat strains are in serious decline and don't need the competition from ill-considered transplants like brookies. Just as eastern brook trout habitats are being destroyed by half-wits who illegally stock perch and bass in places where they don't belong. Most salmonid species have evolved in fragile habitats that can easily be thrown out of balance by invasive species. Nature knows best.

I'm sorry...."invasive brook trout". Really? :wacko: I have never heard of that.:blink: Even if they were "invasive", what damage to the habitat could they possibly do? That's just the kind of "invasive" species we should all be lucky enough to have in my opinion. Someone please explain this to me.:huh:

Here is the link with the info. It's quite staggering how non native brook trout can really take over. Thanks everyone for the suggestions on the creel bag, ill be searching this weekend.

http://www.tucanada.org/index.asp?p=2028

If you are interested or have any questions about Arcticreel or accessories they are made here in Denver at "Denver Tent and Awning".

http://www.denvertent.com/arcticreels_and_accessories.html

Thanks very much, I just bought myself one, hope I can fill it up plenty this summer. Thanks for all the help

Before the Arctic Creel, there was the Desert Water Bag. If your old enough, you may remember these. In the 1950s and 60s, many campers and travelers carried one strapped to the car or truck. They were made of heavy canvas, and when wet the evaporation keep the contents cool (more or less.) I used one as a creel back then, and the cost was only a few dollars. Since they are no longer easily found, the prices are as much if not more than an Arctic Creel. Sadly a disappearing piece of Americana.

post-12074-0-15151700-1370111468_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-26430100-1370111593_thumb.jpg

While we are on the creel subject...I was visiting a local fly shop in town a while back, MW Reynolds, and rolled the price tag over on one of these pretty creels. My eyes went wide and I gulped. I rolled the tag back over. A customer caught my reaction and asked "What do ya think"?......... I smiled.

Before the Arctic Creel, there was the Desert Water Bag. If your old enough, you may remember these. In the 1950s and 60s, many campers and travelers carried one strapped to the car or truck. They were made of heavy canvas, and when wet the evaporation keep the contents cool (more or less.) I used one as a creel back then, and the cost was only a few dollars. Since they are no longer easily found, the prices are as much if not more than an Arctic Creel. Sadly a disappearing piece of Americana.

I remember those bags back in the early 60s strapped to the grills of many of the cars we saw when we vacationed out west one summer. I thought they were for replenishing the radiator when your car/truck overheated.Gas stations were sometimes few and far between back then.

Out west, brookies tend to overpopulate and successfully compete with native species for food, etc. - they're justifiably considered pests in a lot of waters. Species like bull trout and various cutthroat strains are in serious decline and don't need the competition from ill-considered transplants like brookies. Just as eastern brook trout habitats are being destroyed by half-wits who illegally stock perch and bass in places where they don't belong. Most salmonid species have evolved in fragile habitats that can easily be thrown out of balance by invasive species. Nature knows best.

Thanks Peterjay. I actually did a little research of my own after I posted my comments. I should have done it before I posted it.ph34r.png wacko.png