Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

leptophlebia Marginata

Hi Folks. This fly of the Ephemeroptera family of flies is common in the UK and is quite tolerant of acidic waters which is probably why they are common around me. The adult is best suited to a size 14 standard dry hook but it is the nymph I am looking for help on. I have included a pic of the nymph and am wondering how best to mimic that bottom half. Ostrich herl first idea or trimmed hackle fibres closely palmered up?

post-42518-0-55264900-1370460534_thumb.jpg

I would try natural ostrich (the small stuff you get from dusters) or natural fur (probably rabbit or hare dubbing) and well-brushed out.

I would say ostrich, as you already suggested. Another thought that comes to mind is sparse antron fibers in a dubbing loop in open spirals up the body. CDC, maybe?

Thanks guys. The CDC might be a good idea.

Yeah I would trim what ever top and bottom and leave the sides. And probably look to bring floss or PT fibres over the top and bottom to cover the wraps and then rib to give that segmented look.

I have seen feather fluff used for that. If you are lucky, and have the right size and color you want, you can tie the stem of the feather in (on top of your dubbing) and let the fluff hang out the sides. Then you pull a nymph skin over the top and tie it down. smile.png

When wet does that not loose all the fluff? Or will it puff back out when fully soaked under water? I have tons of aftershaft feathers I could use for that.

Aftershafts would be great for that nymph. It move very well when wet. Pulses with the retrieve. I use it on caddis pupae, and small stonefly nymphs as gills.

Cheers Jam, thats a great link. Now I've got a fly to aim at. that is a great fly he's tied. I did a quick one yesterday with CDC but the CDC is not substantial enough. Made a neat nymph but not what I was after. I'll try a bunch of these.

Well here are a couple of first looks. Both should fish. One with aftershaft and one with CDC. I found out some great yarn to try the Lucians fly Jam linked to. Just need to find my nymph skin now.

post-42518-0-46867700-1370611102_thumb.jpg

post-42518-0-64336600-1370611115_thumb.jpg

nice ties Piker...I think a ribbed abdomen with dubbing and maybe after the wire or whatever is done you could "rough" it up a bit with a wire brush or velcro an get the fuzzy effect too...

yeah there is one such fly in my vice but the legs and wingback went array and I didn't feel like sharing laugh.png. I do like the profile it makes though of the bottom and will play around with that one a bit more.