Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SSC

river etiquette

Ask them how they're doing and keep on rolling. Why anybody would want to spend a day on a river, worried about what other people are going to do, or not going to do, or what they'll think, or not think just aint worth it. Dealing with wacko's all day long at work is enough for me, river time is quiet time. Yuppies will only venture so far into the woods, the deeper you get into it the more scarce they become.

Snip off whatever fly you are using and then dig around and come up with the biggest, meanest bead head fly that you have. Now tie said fly onto your tippet to replace whatever you just snipped off. Now cast in the direction of the intruder, not too close at first, and really make a splash with it so you be sure to get their attention. If that don't work then cast a little closer and splash a little harder. And if that still doesn't get the point across then forget about the splash downs and just cast the fly about a yard past his head at about mach 3. Of course, I'm just joking..... I usually just mumble and shoot lightning bolts out my eyes and move on and let the jerk have it. Now if he is stupid enough to try it at the next run then I will probably have to snatch the hat off his head with a cast.....

I really like the way they do it at the Lower Mountain Fork, while you are playing a fish they will start bragging about how nice of a fish that was and then when you unhook it they will start casting in the your spot. I agree with the post above though casting a big ol size 8 or 10 conehead wooly bugger may get the point across.

Snatching a hat off some body's head might be a little too aggressive, SO, you just need a little pack of alka-seltzers in an easy to get to pocket. When the inconsiderate person moves in on you, get out the packet and place the tablets in your mouth and let them go to work. DO NOT SWALLOW unless you are in the mood to blow something up inside yourself. While the tablets are fizzing you can mess up your shirt collar and twist your hat or something. Now when the intruder looks in your direction you just advance in their direction with your arms extended in the zombie position while you allow the foam to escape your mouth. If you moan and growl while foaming at the mouth then the intrusive person is going to think you are a zombie or worse yet, a rabid zombie and the fishing hole should clear out fast...As long as one of the other pistol-packers doesn't shoot you...

Man, I feel like I don't have it that bad after listening to you guys...

I've found that it is best for me to move to a spot that the intruder can still see me catch fish while they can't get a nibble in the spot they stole from me.

This is my tactic with the worm drowners on the beaver ponds, usually opening day. They're clearly rising to bugs, so how is that huge worm rig working? Usually not as good. Sometimes I ask them if they can see what's hatching. To be fair though, I do take up more castable space on the water than they do, but I just hate the splashes they make even if they aren't really overlapping my lane.

Paul, you forgot to mention your method of throwing tennis balls into the pool for your retriever to fetch.

This would probably be my current technique. I'd just hide the e-collar remote and pretend she isn't mine and comment how she keeps following me. For me she mainly just runs the bank, for a fun new stranger... she'd kill him with kindness and pretty much ruin his day. Once they left I'd hit the tone button and she'll come sprinting back.

Snatching a hat off some body's head might be a little too aggressive, SO, you just need a little pack of alka-seltzers in an easy to get to pocket. When the inconsiderate person moves in on you, get out the packet and place the tablets in your mouth and let them go to work. DO NOT SWALLOW unless you are in the mood to blow something up inside yourself. While the tablets are fizzing you can mess up your shirt collar and twist your hat or something. Now when the intruder looks in your direction you just advance in their direction with your arms extended in the zombie position while you allow the foam to escape your mouth. If you moan and growl while foaming at the mouth then the intrusive person is going to think you are a zombie or worse yet, a rabid zombie and the fishing hole should clear out fast...As long as one of the other pistol-packers doesn't shoot you...

Tony, you're a man after my own heart. Combining your Alka-Seltzer method with my machete would be enough to scare the living hell out of anybody, including Stephen King.

Seriously, I gave up fishing potentially tight spots on weekends because I got tired of confrontations with mental defectives. (turning the other cheek is not one of my strengths) I realize not everybody has that luxury, but it's cut down on the conflicts considerably. Also, fishing in bad weather is a good way to minimize contact with yahoos, as is getting off the beaten track. It seems a shame that civilized people have to make allowances for society's dregs, but that's the world we live in now. Being a saltwater type, I've found it somewhat easier to avoid crowded spots than it was during my trout fishing years, but one thing that used to drive me nuts out west were the morons in drift boats who would park themselves right in front of me and put down every fish in the pool before moving on. That kind of selfish behavior was inexcusable, and some of those guys were professional guides. GRRRRR!!!! Guess the answer is to let the yahoos have the easy spots and look for places to fish that require a little effort to get to. IME, most of the bad guys don't like to get out of sight of their cars.

the other day I was parked with my wife's truck at my local spot walking the river looking for driftwood when I returned to my truck I found that I was completely blocked in and unable to leave so I walked home (2 miles) got my truck and drove back to retrieve my wife's truck I ended up hooking up a jeep and a ford ranger and towing them into the ditch opposite side of the road before hooking my wife's truck to go home as I was moving the jeep another gentleman stopped by and told me the samething happened to him 3 weekends before and the guys who parked there didn't return for 6 hours

I've had my share of A'holes crowding me on the river at times. Usually it is during peak steelhead or salmon runs when all the morons that only fish a few times per year come out of the woodwork, but every once in a while I will run into one on a trout stream.

Turning the other cheek and walking away is something I personally do not advocate. Don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting anyone get into any sort of altercation or a dangerous situation with someone, not suggesting that at all.. The thing is though this society we live in today is selfish, stupid, impatient, and has a feeling of entitlement, and the reason that so many people are like that is because people let them get away with it. By not saying anything and just moving out of your spot that makes the moron think what he is doing is okay, and it is not. Simply calming telling him he is really encroaching on your spot and he has a whole river open to him most times will be enough to get them to move on. Again I am not suggesting a physical confrontation what so ever, just to calmly and politely inform them of their mistake and most times that is all that is needed. Then again I am 6'6" 260lbs so maybe it works better for me than for others lol.

Steve

Paul, as far as I'm concerned, you've got my vote for the Avengers' Hall of Fame. Too bad you didn't have a wrecker on hand to haul the vehicles a few miles down the road.

Yeah those guys musta been real confused when they got back to their cars lol. Another alien invasion story will spring up now.

peter I have a tow truck I am a repoman that is what I used to put their trucks in the ditch across the street trust me they had to call a local towing company to get them out the ditch is quite deep and was quite soft I almost didn't get out of it with my tow truck

peter I have a tow truck I am a repoman that is what I used to put their trucks in the ditch across the street trust me they had to call a local towing company to get them out the ditch is quite deep and was quite soft I almost didn't get out of it with my tow truck

laughing until sometime next week...at least! you are my hero!

It's not surprising when half the time I open a door at the quick trip ( for myself ). That some one will slide through the door, that I opened. But I opened the door for me! All the while, there is an unused door right beside "my" door. Now to be polite they often will say "thank you". I proceed to inform them, I opened the door for me not you. Usually they return a look of disbelief.

I don't fish crowded water, so retards at the gas station was how I related.