Fly Tying

Hi I am new to fly fishing and have a question about rods. what is the difference between dry fly, wet fly and streamer rods, can you use them intechangeably

The simple answer is YES you can use any rod for any type of fly.

The specialization of rod labels is a fairly recent marketing gimmick. I will state with total conviction it is a load of crap. If you can't catch fish on a streamer, changing to a different rod with a "streamer" sticker on it is not going to help (all other variables staying constant.)

For all of recorded history, up to about the last couple decades, everyone got by just fine fishing whatever type of fly they wanted on whatever rod they had in their hand, within reason.

The general marketing scheme these days seems to be like this: Dry Fly rods are "fast" tip action rods with most of their bend in the tip. Wet Fly rods are "slow" full bend rods which flex and bend along most of their length. Streamer rods are just heavier weight rods which are better able to cast large/heavy flies more effectively than what some would consider "good" for what they're doing. Marketing tells us that it's perfectly fine to fish a trout stream with a 5 weight most of the time. Using a 9 weight on the same stream is just plain silly and unsporting UNLESS of course it is a STREAMER rod to fish big flies and then is not only OK, but doing so will make you one of the cool kids.

It's all marketing, and it's all BS, because on average Fly Fishermen have money to spend and are extremely gullible.

I prefer moderate to fast action rods, have a few of different weights. I fish all kinds of flies with all of them, and do very well.

C'mon Joel - tell us what you REALLY think. Seriously, a good fisherman can adapt and make do with whatever gear he has, within reason of course. My first "good" rod was a fiberglass 8 1/2 footer which was slower than hell, and I loved it for all kinds of warm water and trout fishing. I even caught my first saltwater fish on it, though it was better suited for the streams and ponds than the salt. I like my current graphite 6wt as well, though it's totally different. I'd say just buy whatever you think will suit you, and learn how to get the most out of it. And bear in mind what a well-known fisherman once said:

"There's more bullshit in fly fishing than you'll find on a Kansas feed lot."

Lefty Kreh

I started FF in the late 60's and I felt blessed to own a 8wt and a 5wt rod. Of course I only fish warmwater and they are a lot dumber than the coldwater versions and don't know the difference. ......I now have added a 2wt, 7wt, and 9wt. I have never fished any dries on either the 7 or 9 however. I do own a couple of 'fast' rods but I have overlined them to make them cast more to my liking. It is all BS as far as I am concerned too. I do remember Orvis touting certain rods for specific type of flies back then but it made little sense to me since I couldn't afford $600 for one of thier impregnated bamboo jewels at the time.

I think most fly fishers choose rods action based on what they like to cast and not on what fly they will fish. Having said that some rod actions are better for some types of fly fishing.

I would rather have one good all-around rod than fifteen specialty rods. I like to travel light and if I had a different rod for everything I think I would go nuts. Well, more nuts than I already am...

The simple answer is YES you can use any rod for any type of fly.

The specialization of rod labels is a fairly recent marketing gimmick. I will state with total conviction it is a load of crap. If you can't catch fish on a streamer, changing to a different rod with a "streamer" sticker on it is not going to help (all other variables staying constant.)

For all of recorded history, up to about the last couple decades, everyone got by just fine fishing whatever type of fly they wanted on whatever rod they had in their hand, within reason.

The general marketing scheme these days seems to be like this: Dry Fly rods are "fast" tip action rods with most of their bend in the tip. Wet Fly rods are "slow" full bend rods which flex and bend along most of their length. Streamer rods are just heavier weight rods which are better able to cast large/heavy flies more effectively than what some would consider "good" for what they're doing. Marketing tells us that it's perfectly fine to fish a trout stream with a 5 weight most of the time. Using a 9 weight on the same stream is just plain silly and unsporting UNLESS of course it is a STREAMER rod to fish big flies and then is not only OK, but doing so will make you one of the cool kids.

It's all marketing, and it's all BS, because on average Fly Fishermen have money to spend and are extremely gullible.

I prefer moderate to fast action rods, have a few of different weights. I fish all kinds of flies with all of them, and do very well.

Hallelujah, Amen. Couldn't agree more. For an in-depth (if a little dated now, but still relevant) exploration of this phenomenon in the marketing of rods, reels, lines and leaders/tippets, see the excellent book Serious Flyfishing, by John Waite. It's out of print but Amazon has it. It ought to be required reading for anyone getting into the sport.

thanks for your input, I have a problem with any purest pursuit as fly fishing is and like any other there iS THE SIMPLE WAY thanks for ponting that out for me. I was looking through an orvis fly fishing book today and they have a line weight/fly size chart and #6 which I have is good for #6 to #20 size flies. so I guess I am ok.

A 6WT will cover most freshwater fishing. It is a great start. You may want something lighter and/or heavier to supplement it if you plan to fish smaller fish or salmon. They can wait until you actually need them. As for different "types" of rods...the average joe won't ever need them.

This is an easy question.

The dry fly rod goes .... boink.

The wet fly rod goes ....boing..boing.

The streamer rod ....your gonna have to give Kelly Gallop a call and have him describe it. Or you can use the rod that doesn't go boink, or boing boing, in a pinch.

Sorry KOKOEK9...just pokin' fun. Your 806 rod will be just fine. I caught many fish on that very same rod.

Your 8' 5-6 is just fine for anything from bluegills and brookies on up to all but the largest trout and bass. If you were to supplement it with a 9' 6-7, you'd have an arsenal that would handle larger bass, trout, pike and small steelhead and salmon. Add a 9' 8 wt. and you're set for just about anything that swims in fresh water. I tend to favor medium-fast action on all my rods.

I own an excellent 2-DVD set called "The Lee Wulff Master Collection", and on it you can watch Lee hook and land 15-20-lb. Atlantic Salmon on a 6', 1-piece full-flex bamboo rod. Nowadays most people would tell you that rod wasn't fit for anything but small dry flies and the smallest fish, but Lee could zing out 50' casts effortlessly, and he played the fish with authority and released them in good condition, too.

Anyone who tries to tell you that a fly rod is good for only one or a few specialized applications is trying to sell you a bill of goods.

thanks for the information, you are right on the bill of goods, that is why after I read the books the experts write I like to talk to the regular guy that that isn't trying to sell a method. Every body is different and there are many best ways some time. And as far as the boink or bong that also varies from one persons hearing to another, some may hear it as bunk