Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
nick2011

Fly tying obsesion

With as much fly tying materials we buy, all the tools and tables, and time invested . im curious how often we all actually go fishing and use what we create?

I myself only get out once a month or so, which isn't nearly enough, and I hope that changes as my kids get older.

I myself only get out once a month or so, which isn't nearly enough, and I hope that changes as my kids get older.

This is the same for me to be honest; a handful of times a summer, at best. Real life just isnt conducive to it yet. Tying keeps me sane.

I am definitely in the same boat as you. I fish maybe one of every hundred flies I tye. Others are gifts to friends, etc. The upside is that knowing I won't need them all I can slow down and really enjoy the tying process.

At present I don't get out as much as I used to. Its down to less than half what it was, if I get out 2 or three times a week I'm doing well. It is my hope, and I'm working very hard to get there, to get this back up to what it should be. Still I'm probably the same when it comes to tying to fishing ratio. There are over 100 flies sat on my bench right now. None are for me. In fact this week I've tied a grand total of 3 flies to go in my box.

The next couple of days I'm hoping to get ahead on regular orders, so I can have a few days free to fish. My birthday present to myself (no one else will get me anything) has just been ordered. A float tube. I'll keep myself occupied tying to get in front, so I can go use it when it arrives.

Cheers,

C.

At present I don't get out as much as I used to. Its down to less than half what it was, if I get out 2 or three times a week I'm doing well. It is my hope, and I'm working very hard to get there, to get this back up to what it should be. Still I'm probably the same when it comes to tying to fishing ratio. There are over 100 flies sat on my bench right now. None are for me. In fact this week I've tied a grand total of 3 flies to go in my box.

The next couple of days I'm hoping to get ahead on regular orders, so I can have a few days free to fish. My birthday present to myself (no one else will get me anything) has just been ordered. A float tube. I'll keep myself occupied tying to get in front, so I can go use it when it arrives.

Cheers,

C.

I hope you enjoy your birthday and present.

I live within a 15 minute drive from many great fisheries, two of which are open all year. I'm also lucky to have a job (snow cat operator at a ski resort) that allows me to fish all summer, and everyday in the winter until about 2pm. I usually try to get to bed around 2pm so I'll be ready to start my shift at midnight, although I have had a few long days of fishing which makes for a longer night...

I get out 3-5 days a week, usually depending on how good its been.

I tie a lot of flies, but usually I'm just trying to keep up with the empty slots in my fly box!

Fishing is definitely an obsession for me.

Happy Birthday Crackaig! I wish you the best of health as a present and that you hook a fish so big that it gives you quite a ride in your float tube!

Yep kids and life seem to limiting opportunity but tying keeps the dreams alive.

Al, when is the actual birthday?

Colin, Ain't telling. I've had so many disasters on it now I just hide. You will not find me!

Cheers,

C.

i tie flies about once a week but there are times i dont tie for months.

after 30+ years of tying its no longer an obsession.

catching a fish on a fly that i tied is just something that happens not cause for celebration and euphoria

health, family, friends, education, work is certainly more important than tying flies.

I tie flies to relax, helps to clear the mind after a long day racing rats.

My sons love to fish, however, we seem to use many more plastic lures than flies as that is what the Texas Bass will hit. Been out three times this season, not near enough!

Dave

I tie a lot more than i fish. It's easy to grab an hour here or there than get to a stream. Tying is definitely my relaxation.