Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fish For Life

Heavy nymphs

Im trying to tye some really heavy nymphs to drag other nymphs down to the bottom fast in swift current. Im looking at trying to tye these nymphs up to 3.5-4 grams. The problem is i cant get get a fly over 1 gram. Im using lead bodies and tungsten bead heads on size 14 hooks but its still not heavy enough. Do any of you have any good patterns or ideas to make a fly super heavy. Im not going for anything fancy i just want a fly that will get me down fast.

At this point what i might try doing i tying these heavy flys on bigger hooks. Ill be able to get more lead on them and a bigger head. Another thing i might try doing is using tungsten cone heads. Im sure that there heavier than the beads. Im not trying to get the most realistic fly i just want one that is heavy.

Thanks

I don't see any way your going to get that on a size 14 hook. My standard size 6 stonefly nymph is only about 24 grains = 1.55 grams. That is with a 3/16 tungsten bead and 24 wraps of .030 lead. I once tied some size 4 nymphs with a large tungsten cone and fully wrapped with lead wire plus a double layer over the thorax. I didn't weigh them but they were very difficult to cast (or flip really) with a 6 wt rod.

Maybe try some big tungsten dumbell eyes.

John Tyzak, when he was fishing for England used a fly that might suit your needs. He took a size 8 grub hook and threaded onto it 5 tungsten beads. 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 4mm & 3mm. Then covered the whole thing in floss. It had a tendency to sink! You could try that using smaller beads on your size 14. Though I would have to ask, if you are tying a "sacrificial nymph" why does it have to be so small? That is one approach.

Another is to consider what you really need. You don't so much as need a heavy fly as a dense one. Split your materials into two kinds. Ones that float and ones that sink. Tie your flies from the ones that sink. It sounds simplistic, but many people put dubbing over weight to try to make a sinking fly. The dubbing is trying to hold the fly up the weight take it down. The result is they think they need more weight.

One practical outcome of this thinking is wire woven bugs. Slim flies that cut through the water very quickly. This kind of thing.

Wire_0021_edited-1.jpg

A simple fly with coloured copper wire woven for the body, over a single layer of holographic tinsel. A touch of loose dubbing is all it takes to imitate legs at the head. These days I have changed from using seal's fur, as in the photo, to using Quick Decent dubbing made from aluminium.. If that isn't heavy enough, double the copper wire and twist it together before weaving it. Of course you can also add a bead head.

Cheers,

C.

I'm a big fan of the depth charge birds nest. I use 2 tungsten beads, and as much weighted wire as I can fit on it.

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

I tie these up to get down quick in the spring when the water is high. They work great for me. They make a pretty good golden stone imitation, and I'll often use them in place of a hare's ear as well.

Step by step tying instructions can be found here: http://mytroutfly.blogspot.com/2013/07/depth-charge-birds-nest.html

I assume you want to get deep because you're not catching but others are using this method? Have you tried asking what they are using?

If its just yourself that wants to get right down follow the dense slim route and try the multi bead setup but as already said, casting will be a pain.

Also don't forget to throw a good upstream mend into your line so the fly has chance to sink before current pulls your flyline along and lifts it all up.

Perhaps I'm being dense here (no pun intended), but why not simply add more lead (or substitute of your choice) to your leader to get your flies down? You'll get your 4g of weight a lot faster that way than trying to add it to a hook.

If putting the shot above the flies doesn't get you down fast enough, you can place it at the end of the leader with your flies on droppers off the main leader. If you haven't already, check out Kelly Galloup's video, "Nymphing By the Numbers". It explains a bunch of different ways to weight your rig to fish different types of water.

What Crackaig mentioned is gold, consider your dressing. For example take a bare hook and drop it in the water, it will sink like a stone, now take a heavily dressed hook, it may not even puncture the meniscus.

Perhaps I'm being dense here (no pun intended), but why not simply add more lead (or substitute of your choice) to your leader to get your flies down? You'll get your 4g of weight a lot faster that way than trying to add it to a hook.

I can't speak for the OP, but one reason might be regulations. For example here in Oregon, on fly fishing only waters, you cannot have any weight attached to your line or leader. Any weight must be part of the fly.

Look up black widow..... I posted it on here a while back and they put the sbs on the hatches sites... It will get you down and catch fish

In Dynamic Nymphing - IMHO a great book - George Daniel argues that you don't need a lot of weight to get down to the bottom. After the cast (or lob) is made, you should have some slack in you line, which will allow the fly sink. (You'll have to wait a few moments.) Also, he recommends using slimmer nymphs. Finally, you can use a Tuck Cast, which is used to get the flies deep as quickly as possible.

Randy

George know his stuff but I gotta say if you fish super fast pocket water you need heavy!! I don't care what he and his book says. State college fishing isn't all that gradient. That's where he has prefected most of his techniques.