Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
muskyhunter81

Anybody read this?

Has anyone read Fly Patterns by Fishing Guides: 200 Flies That Really Work? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764165631/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

If so what is your opinion about the book? I was thinking about buying it but don't want to if their is only a couple of good flies in it.

I don't know about that book and I know this isn't what you asked but there is a free book today, handbook of hatches by Dave Hughes.

seems like theres 200 flies that really work

its probably the same for any fly tying pattern book. some will work for YOU, most wont

Author it not particularly well known and I've read at least one of his other efforts ("Go-To Flies") and was completely underwhelmed. Personally I was going to pass on this one.

You did not mention what sort of book you were looking for, muskyhunter. Perhaps if you outlined what you needed, some better suggestions might be made.

...Most of the 200 patterns shown and described in these pages have never appeared anywhere in print until now....

That should tell you something....

Not that some of them aren't good patterns, but there are hundreds of well known, time tested patterns that are readily available from the WEB. Tons of online tutorials on utube, lots of stuff on online web sites like this one, and FAOL. How about the IFFF fly of the month? http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Tying/FlyoftheMonth.aspx Check the bottom of the page for previous months patterns and instructions.

With the WEB at your finger tips, there's no need to buy a lot of books.

Muskyhunter, I can't comment of that book as I've not read it, but I own several pattern books & IMO, all flies will catch fish in the right situation & conditions.

Tony Lolli. These are the flies that working guides give customers when fishing is unusually difficult. These flies catch fish when nothing else works.

99% of the time, the presentation is more important than the actual pattern being used, and no matter what fly you try, you still have to get it in front of the fish. There's too many other variables to simply say a particular fly pattern alone is the reason we catch fish.

Even though I love to experiment with different patterns, I don't place a great deal of stock in any fly that "always works", because I've yet to find one. As has been said, there are a lot of fly patterns that will catch fish.

I would buy that book, just to add another book to my collection, but not so much because I need another pattern book or because the flies contained in that one might be any better than what I've already used.

Muskyhunter.. If you are chasing musky on the fly you wont find many useful in there if you ask me. I tie and sell musky flies and would be glad to help you out with some good patterns. Shoot me a PM if youd like.

I own the book and like it. There are quite a few innovative patterns in it and the guide explains how he developed it, why he thinks it works, etc.

My only issue is that half of it is for saltwater, which I don't need. But I deemed the freshwater half good enough to justify the purchase.

Good things:

It's spiral bound which is nice for the bench.

There is a sort of graph paper window on each page with an outline of the fly so you can gauge the overall fly size better.

Even the narrative on the saltwater flies is entertaining enough that i've read it a few times. My favorite is a mackerel fly that is designed to imitate a cut up baitfish with the guts hanging out. It's so crazy looking you know it has to work. I'll likely never know however.

Maybe a third of the salt flies could be used for pretty solid streamers on a river.

Many Salt flies will work just as well as in sweet water and vise-a-versa so salt flies should be of no major concern. In this day of the net info available I am not sure that books are needed. With that said....I have purchased 4 books in the last year or so on salt flies and carp and looking to get a couple more. One can never have enough 'learn'in' ...especially on 'fish'n'....

They'd work if downsized no doubt, but figuring out how to downsize some of the materials may be an issue.

The smallest hook size called for in the salt section is an 8, which is the biggest hook in my box and one I rarely use.

For every pattern that calls for an 8, there is one that calls for an 8/0, which to me is basically a short handled gaff hook.

IMO the whole label of "Guide Flies" is bullsh*t. What's it mean? Cheap and easy to tie? Read all the recent threads about how guides nickel and dime clients to death and how every penny counts to them. If I were ever to pay someone to tie flies for me, I'd expect them to be tied perfectly, using the best possible materials, and without cutting any corners. Hell, I could easily show you 200 patterns which are cheap, easy, and effective.

I have looked through the book in question and it isn't bad. I don't believe I would buy it, but it is OK.

I wouldn't classify most of these as cheap and easy to tie.

It's more a narrative of guides from around the world, their perceived problem, and their tying solution.

That being said I don't feel the patterns are overly difficult to tie for the most part.

I'm not really a book buyer. I own 4 printed fly tying books: This one, The fly tying bible, The fly tyers benchside reference, and hatch guide for upper midwest streams. Basically the last two are indispensable...