Fly Tying
mikechell

Stripping guards

ChefBen and Capt Bob: You guys probably sling flies the size of my average catch.

I'm guessing this is the root of why I haven't had a problem. Small stream trout are my thing...

ChefBen and Capt Bob: You guys probably sling flies the size of my average catch.

I'm guessing this is the root of why I haven't had a problem. Small stream trout are my thing...

Cant speak for Capt Bob but my normal flies I use in MI are musky so you are right on. 10wt all day, textured line, and 10-14" flies!!

I use them, but use them more when I am actively stripping streamers for bass. When I am trout fishing, steelhead, carp, and other fishing when I am not stripping the fly so much, I don't use them. They do help a lot, though!

I don't do that much rapid stripping. I have worked a fly that fast and hard, but it's not my go to method at all.

My problem has always been the missed hook set. Since I don't lift the rod tip much, if at all, I am usually pulling a couple of feet of line before I even get the hook set. If I've missed the fish, I might pull a full arms length of line through my finger. (Maybe 5 feet or so)

I know I've burned myself bad enough to require salve and a band aid. For those of you who've EVER felt that ... I strongly recommend trying the guard. It's made me a believer in them.

I don't use them enough! Gel spun backing going out at high tension and speed will cut your fingers off, but also grabbing leaders tends to put even small slices in fingers. And for salt or fast stripping i just chuck the rod under my armpit and double handed strip.

Think ill give them a second try and try the preventative band aid too. ie plaster around last joint on finger before fishing and strip line over that.

Reviving this topic, to show my latest purchase in the fight against high prices. As stated before, I won't go fly fishing without a guard on my rod hand, middle finger. This is the finger I use to control line in working the fly, strip setting the hook and fighting fish.

The prices for packs of three guards have gone up ($5.00 when I first started using them ... $9.00 now). My local Bass Pro doesn't carry them anymore.

So, I went looking online. Found these on Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/290pcs-6cm-White-Nylon-Industry-Anti-Static-Finger-Cots-Cover-Protector-Sleeve/322474891873?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

Almost three hundred for $12.00. They arrived a couple of weeks ago. I've used them twice now.

finger cots 1.jpg

1) They most certainly aren't nylon. They're cotton, I'm pretty sure ... and thin material.

They felt good ... just aren't "substantial."

finger cots 2.jpg

2) After 5 or 6 hours of fishing ... very little catching ... one is shot.

finger cots 3.jpg

If I'd stayed on the water any longer, I would've had to use two that day.

For the price, I can say I am not disappointed though. Even if I have to use two or three each time out, that's more 100 trips. And on a half day trip I'm only using one ... which takes me well over hundred trips.

Even the good ones were only good for 4 or 5 trips each ... so 15 to 20 trips from each package of three.

Monetarily, I am WAY ahead of the game.

They do work ... protecting my finger through uncounted retrieves and a few hook sets.

My better half reminded me, with the discounts we had they were $3.00. Dang, should have bought more.

I don't wear gloves, but those look pretty good for people that do.

I just started this year for the sun protection.

Been using finger socks for decades as couldn't find the heavy duty neoprene Temple Fork finger guards after buying 2 as tiger musky would just spool ya while Spanish mackerals take enough backing in the blink of an eye to give rope burns.

I have gotten blisters from Stripers/Wipers and Bonita before...kind of ruins your day.

Ive never used those but I would.

I use cheap cloth medical tape when Im worried about it, Never gotten a burn from a hook set.