Fly Tying

try some out and record the results

scotchguard on flies has been around for a long long time

id rather use the gel right there on the stream.

Tried it once about 30 years ago. Must not have been impressed with the results, since I haven't done it again.

Abolene...cheapest you'll ever find (it's a make up remover), and it is good for cleaning really dirty fly lines too. It's a gel you can put in smaller containers for streamside use, and it melts at body temps to a liquid for easy application...

Murray

IMHO

tongue.png It's been around forever and ....thst's why I put it in a smaller container to take with me...laugh.png

Murray

I have a bottle of Orvis Nufly-Kote but the little that remains has turned milky. I don't recognize the aroma so I don't know what it could be but I used to think it was great stuff. All dries went from the vise into the bottle. It even helped to stiffen the hackle after the recommended 24 hour drying period. I never replenished it because I thought it was pricey for what it was.

Back when I was a kid, there was this stuff that came in a small hourglass-like bottle. The liquid was in the bottom section. You would dump the flies in the top dry section, cap the bottle then invert it to soak the flies. Then turn back over to drain it and extract the flies from the bottle. The bottle may not have been hourglass shaped (don't remember) but it seems like a piece of cork with a hole separated the top and bottom. If anyone remembers this stuff I would like to know about it. I want one of those bottles for my collection.

Yep. I recall that floatant in the hourglass shaped container with the cork. It was one of the first floatants I used in the 80s.

Mars Rover,

I hope these pictures will help you with your search.

hourglass1.gif

hourglass2.gif

hourglass3.gif

Sorry, I don't want to part with my bottle but I thought having a photo and name might help you out. As I remember there were others who had the same thing but branded for them instead of Garcia.

The small print instructions on the back say:

For maximum flotation soak dry flies for at least 20 seconds. Hackle stiffener added. Made in U.S.A. Code No. 65205