Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
HalfDunn

Hackle Gauge

I have just ordered a Whitings Hackle Gauge from Orvis.

Any one else use a gauge and how useful are they.

I use one and find it useful. You can always use the hook gap as a gauge also. Hackle is normally 1 to 1 1/2 times the hook gauge.

Since I broke down and bought one, a few years ago, I use it on every dry fly hackle I wind. It adds consistency to your tying. It is also a much more convenient way of measuring the hackle while it is still on the cape.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I made the right decision. I wanted one to match hackles on flies such as the March Brown.

Out of interest what is the rule of thumb for parachute hackles?

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I made the right decision. I wanted one to match hackles on flies such as the March Brown.

Out of interest what is the rule of thumb for parachute hackles?

Really a matter of preference. On mine, just a bit longer than gape width. Shorter than what I would use for a thorax tie

I've always heard that parachutes should be about 1 size larger than normal. I don't tie many parachutes, though, so I'm not an expert.

I've got one I've had for years. I don't think it cost what a Whiting gauge costs. I use it occasionally, but I can generally (not always) hackle a dry fly without using it. You've got a pretty wide range on hackling. As for parachutes, close is good enough for me. I over-hackle them consciously and seem to do all right.

I've always heard that parachutes should be about 1 size larger than normal. I don't tie many parachutes, though, so I'm not an expert.

That's what I've always used as a rule of thumb. So on a #12 I would use anything from an #11 to a #10 hackle.

I have a cheap Griffin hackle gauge that I have on the post of my vise. I use it every time I tie a dry fly. If I'm tying a #12 then I will see that the feather tips are going just over the mark on my hackle gauge. This would be one size up. If you go all of the way to the next mark, on my gauge that would be two sizes up from the #12, which would be a #10.

Keep in mind, if you are tying these for yourself, somewhere close will be just fine. If you are tying commercially, then you want to try and get the same size every time, so you just pay close attention to your gauge, so they are all the same.

I've used a few gauges. Currently I'm using the Griffin guage. I like the old Troth gauge, but if you want it always available, you have to come up with your own way to mount it

I tie my parachutes with normal sized hackle (#14 hackle for a #14 hook). For palmered hackle on dy flies, such as an Elk Hair Caddis, I go 1 to 2 sizes smaller.

My two cents is,,,,, I use it a lot.. I can go through a neck or saddle, sort out the sizes, bag them up, label them, and now I have hackles ready to go in size marked bags. saves a lot of time down the road hunting on a pelt for the size I need. Plus I know when I'm out of the size I need. Don't waist time hunting all over a used neck looking for a feather that isn't there. I think it was Ron Lucas who I got that advise from.

My two cents is,,,,, I use it a lot.. I can go through a neck or saddle, sort out the sizes, bag them up, label them, and now I have hackles ready to go in size marked bags. saves a lot of time down the road hunting on a pelt for the size I need. Plus I know when I'm out of the size I need. Don't waist time hunting all over a used neck looking for a feather that isn't there. I think it was Ron Lucas who I got that advise from.

Like this.

Years ago Dan Bailey sized all the hackles for his 75 commercial tyers himself because commercial ties required consistency and he wasn't getting it. Then the hackle gauge came out and made that unnecessary.

I sometimes use one for sizes I tie infrequently. Otherwise I am with the comments above. Close is just fine.