Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
KOKOEK9

scissors

Hi, I want to replace my 3.5 kit scissors with something that cuts closer. I got a cheap kit of tools and the scissors don't cut as close as I like does any body know of a brand that would cut closer and is reasonable, I can't pay a lot. DR. Slick has some nice ones but I don't know how close they cut. Thanks

The closest cutting scissors would be Iris type sissors. You can go to extremes buying the ones an eye surgeon would use. However they are mega expensive. A cheap pair will do so long as you reserve them for light materials.

There is nothing to stop you taking a stone to your existing scissors. Slim the tips down with a stone, just don't touch the cutting edges. This is normally the first thing I do with new scissors.

Cheers,

C.

I have three pair of Anvil ICE, two a smaller blue handled one is brown handled. I have had them for years. They are not serrated and I am good at sharpening. I touch them up from time to time. They all cut right out to the end of the tip. They will cut one hair. If you own knives, chisels, hand saw or scissor, the is a book , Guide to Sharpening by Lee that is a great reference. You can still get it on Amazon.

The thing that keeps them sharpest is I have a pair of Crescent mini wire cutters to cut stuff I shouldn't be cutting with the scissors. I also have a pair of medical scissors that are fairly heavy duty for cutting paper and stuff.

Anvils are under twenty bucks. My brown ones say Thompson Ice. I bet they are 25 years old.

I finally bit the bullet the other day and got a pair of Dr. Slicks (The 4" Razors). Guy on Ebay sells them for $21 w/ free shipping. My Gosh, what a difference from my old cheap ones. Have only had them for 2 days but IMO they're worth every penny.

I have the Ice scissors too and they served well for many years. L L Bean has the Dr Slick set of three scissors in a box that makes a fly box for $39. They were $34 in the fall. I got a set from Bean and am pleased with them.

I too use the ICE tempered stainless scissors, but mine were sold by Thompson years ago. After 20 years or more they are still going strong. I do touch them up from time to time (about once a year,) but they have lasted me so well, I haven't even looked at scissors in years. Anvil scissors should be very similar.

I use all Dr. Slick, love them ,and get them cheap here:

www.lelandfly.com/In-Stock/Fly-Tying-Tools/Dr-Slick-Iris-Scissor-Curved-3-5-in-.html

www.lelandfly.com/In-Stock/Fly-Tying-Tools/Dr-Slick-Arrow-Scissor-Micro-Tip-3-5-in-.html

www.lelandfly.com/In-Stock/Fly-Tying-Tools/Dr-Slick-All-Purpose-Scissor-Straight-4-in-.html

Dr. Slick's are worth the price. The standard 3.5" scissors will cut as closely as you need.

GCO in my opinion is unreliable and not worth the trouble of waiting for shipping, I have given them the benefit of the doubt many times and after recommending them to a friend who waited 4 months for his fly boxes without any responses to his messages and questions they will never get another stitch of my business.

That aside I the Anvil scissors are nice and a fair price, around $20 give or take per pair. The Dr. Slick razor point scissors while expensive at $32 or so per pair are amazing and can easily be sharpened by yourself or a professional. If you go with sharp scissors I recommend keeping the tubing that usually comes with them on the tips, otherwise the first time you drop them like I did they will duff the tips and break the very fine point off.

Some people use cheap scissors and just replace them as needed, others buy quality stuff and resharpen as needed...personal preference.

I am one of those that buy cheap and replace when needed. Any drug store, go to the fingernail care section and look for a pair of cuticle scissors. They will cut fine material very close. And a pair of regular fingernail scissors will cut heavier material as close as I've ever needed.

If you are looking for decent pair of scissors that won't break the bank take a look at Fiskars…Go to a craft store or sewing store.