Fly Tying
Fish For Life

Woolly Bugger tails

When it comes to the marabou woolly bugger tails do you keep the tips on the tail or have them removed??? Why do you do what you do?? does it really matter??

Thanks

With natural material, the natural tips are almost always best. Very few exceptions. Looks the best to me, and the fish have never complained. Learn to prep the feather correctly, measure to length before tying in, and then you don't have to worry about it.

I'll second JSzymczyk's reply. Leave them natural. I always dip my marabou in water so it's easier to tie on. Once it's wet I smooth it out the way I want it, then tie it on.

i dont think its too hard to draw a marabou feather with your fingers, measure for length using the hook shank and tie down the tail

to quote JSzymczyk "then you don't have to worry about it"

practice practice practice

prep the feather by trimming out the very tip. (i have done this for years but not absolutely necessary). i trim out the tip so i can tie in only the feather fibers. i like using the type of feather shown below with the finer fibers.

maraboutip1_zps48157815.jpg

maraboutip2_zps3ffe2f37.jpg

measure for length using the hook shank and tie in the prepared feather. if the tail is still to long, unwap the thread and pull the feather forward until the length is just right. use another hook as a guide

maraboutip3_zps9a179433.jpg

wrap the butt end of the feather to help create an even under body (unweighted fly)

maraboutip4_zps2abe7431.jpg

trim the feather at the back end of the lead wraps to again create a smooth under body

maraboutip5_zps730f6837.jpg

in no way is anybody obligated to tie your wooly buggers using the methods above. please tie them as you always have tied them. the photos are merely suggestions

if marabou is too difficult to use, try tying them this way

I like to pull both sides of the marabou off the stem.

stack the 2 piles on top of each other.

then trim the peeled butts off.

now measure for length n tie down.

using this technique I can make multiple colored tails.

Hey flytire,

I like that idea, I'm gonna try that. Good stuff! Thanks for the info...

Hey cheech,

I just watched your "build a better bugger" video. I like it. I'd love to see more videos.....

Hey cheech,

I just watched your "build a better bugger" video. I like it. I'd love to see more videos.....

Preach. We have hundreds of videos on our YouTube channel and site. Let us know if you have any requests.

Hey cheech

Well glory...I will have to subscribe to your channel. Thanks!

I trim the tips where they thin out. Usually it's about 1/2" to 3/4." As shown in the video below, it's best to rip the stringy tips off with a straight edge like the blade of your scissors. At 1.50 min he talks about the marabou.

I like Cheech's technique.......it gives me the ability to tie both the top of the marabou and then utilize the sides (blood quill)..... sometimes I can get two buggers out of the same feather!

Mike :)

I like Cheech's technique.......it gives me the ability to tie both the top of the marabou and then utilize the sides (blood quill)..... sometimes I can get two buggers out of the same feather!

Mike smile.png

I like a good two for one deal!

LOL

I do the same as Cheech, and have also used ostrich herl as tails on my buggers, just trim a bunch off and tie them in like marabou, I pinch and tear them to length instead of cutting with scissors so it doesn't make such a straight cut, this also works with marabou

Rodney

Hi, what kind of hackle did hans use in the first video, it looked like a dry fly hackle not like the broad ones sold for buggers