Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Randyflycaster

What do you think of this as a fly tying desk?

It would work if you have a small space. I prefer just a large flat top table though. A desk like that would be a little to confining for me personally.

i'm sure it would work for someone but i wouldnt spend my money on it

too small of a work area

many more options out there that would be a lot better

With the pull out desk extended, I am sure it would serve the purpose fairly well. But for 270 bucks, I could build you an entire desk with storage areas to the ground !!!

There are MANY better choices available.

Folks,

If you know of a better option please let me know. With the pull out shelf I'd have

more room than with a roll top desk.

Randy

Folks,

If you know of a better option please let me know. With the pull out shelf I'd have

Randy

My roll top desk has a pull out shelf giving me a shelf space of about 28" x 29".. It is cheap, made out of phoney pressed wood.. And it's too small. However, I can pull the top down to keep the stuff out of sight of my grandkids, who would otherwise impale themselves on hooks. It's all the room I have, though, in my living room.

In my spare room, I've got a computer flat top table with a separate table for the keyboard. plenty of room there and at the right height. You can stack plastic shelves on top and beneath it. And it's white.

I suppose the one pictured would work, but it doesn't look very strong. And grossly overpriced. A used computer desk from an office supply place would be ideal.

Folks,

Randy

All you need to do is a quick search here on FTF for lots of great ideas. Or, do a google search for even more on the web. As you might know, this topic has had plenty of air-time here and elsewhere. All you need to do is look. :)

It looks a little to small to be comfortable and I would not recommend black as a color of choice. Something in a lighter shade will help with "contrast" while tying flies.

It looks a little to small to be comfortable and I would not recommend black as a color of choice. Something in a lighter shade will help with "contrast" while tying flies.

I am the opposite. I like a darker shade.

Do you need the "roll-top" or closable top? I've got three cats. So all of my stuff gets put away after each tying session. A roll top would be easier to get up from, but it'd probably become a mess after a while.

Go to a Home Depot, Office Depot, Staples or any other store that sells office furniture, and you'll find all kinds of desks that have more top ... and more storage options. If you're willing to spend that much on that little writing desk, the same amount WILL buy a lot more.

Go to a Home Depot, Office Depot, Staples or any other store that sells office furniture, and you'll find all kinds of desks that have more top ... and more storage options. If you're willing to spend that much on that little writing desk, the same amount WILL buy a lot more.

That's what I'm thinking in addition looking at used desks.

Overstock.com has a number of different models of writing desks made by the same company. Some of them look nicer and even cost less, but whether they work better is a matter (obviously from all the above) of opinion.